3: Gardening Diaries ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good Morning Songbirds...Cloudy but dry today...
Jobs in hand around the pond area this week
Commission the pond pump to run the new waterfall feature, back-fill the waterfall feature with compost for planting, a lick of paint here and there on the pergola (perhaps hang a bird feeder or two. Search out a new Iris for the pond, smaller and likes to have its feet in water...I really like this one
Iris versicolor 'Rowden Cadenza'
1-1-rowden-cadenza.jpg

I always seem to have to order online when I want a plant.
@Perki what nurseries do you specifically use for online plants and what is your experience of them.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all, Smugmeister included!

Yes, that's a beautiful iris Sibrica - some has magenta and some blue beautiful markings. But my garden is too dry for them. Do go for one, @BigC !

Just got the rubbish out. It seemed to have drizzled a bit last night. The ground is even wet, but there were spots of water on trays and butts. Sad, I won't have any for a long, long time. There is a lovely breeze around. So all good.

In the middle of the border, out came a Pak Choi. Consumed last night. Wish there were more.
SAM_0588.JPG

Salvia Amistad - I doubt if it will have flower this year. Horrible weather and now unreasonable heat!
SAM_0589.JPG

The have leaves because of the ash from my bonfire.
SAM_0590.JPG

Wonderful roses from the back.

SAM_0591.JPG

Roses from the front in pots. Had idea what they are called.
SAM_0592.JPG
SAM_0593.JPG

SAM_0596.JPG

SAM_0594.JPG
SAM_0595.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@alp
Going to dig up some more grass when i can get the spade in.

I know the feeling! Gave the lady who gifted us the fishing gear a Bowl of Beauty. Mine died, sadly, gnawed in the neck above the soil and the plant never recovered. :cry::cry:

This lady said her whole garden was full of ROOTS and couldn't be dug any more. She really loved her garden. It was tiny, but full of remarkable plants and even a tiny pond. Yes. You might as well get rid of the grass and pour some shingles on top of weed suppressing membrane and plant more blueberries, currants and whatever takes your fancy. I don't remember the names of those roses. Sad. Next year, I will buy some more from Poundland. I really am happy with Paul Scarlett which is now roaming all over the fence. Should have more, but I took out the top branches which should have flowered like mad now. I was mad and didn't consult expert advice!

Have you had rain, Logan?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
plant more blueberries, currants and whatever takes your fancy.

I've got some blackcurrant cuttings to put somewhere. Got enough redcurrants. Going to get 2 roses, always get them mail order. From Cants of Colchester. Could order next month to have them in November, bare root.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think I want to buy any more roses unless they are the thornless ones seen in Hyde Hall. It's very hot here. 9am supposed to have 30% chance of rain and what have I got? Zilch!

Talking about Mediterranean / Australian gardening in Essex! I thought I had a Nicotiana growing, but now I think it might be a self seeded Verbascum! Nature has found its niche in my garden. Man proposes, God disposes!

The first hydrangea flowering in my garden.
SAM_0603.JPG

A lovely penstemon - very small, but the markings and colours are delightful
SAM_0598.JPG
SAM_0599.JPG
SAM_0600.JPG

SAM_0597.JPG

I have a pink and a yellow alstroemeria and I think this is their progeny

SAM_0604.JPG
SAM_0605.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0602.JPG
    SAM_0602.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 140
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely pics @alp.:)
We have a 7% chance of rain at 2pm ..but by 3pm it's back down to 1% :cry::cry::cry:
We have beautiful blue skies and brilliant sunshine at the moment......so I won't hold my breath in excited anticipation !:(

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, Upsy!

I have NO chance of any rain now. It was clouded over! I'm like a sick puppy waiting for food! Ah, the bell goes. Going to have crackling pork and chicken! Yummy - son's favorite meal of the week.

I really love penstemon and this little red one really is tucking at my heart's string! Wait a minute, don't really think I have a heart!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's easier to weed round roses if they are thornless. I now know that cow manure is better than horse manure as horse manure is full of weed / grass seeds. No wonder I weed like an idiot!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
It's easier to weed round roses if they are thornless. I now know that cow manure is better than horse manure as horse manure is full of weed / grass seeds. No wonder I weed like an idiot!
That's the trouble with manure. Was it well rotted? It should be better if it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Love it. Can I have a recipe please!

Good night, everyone!

Sure its easy, just loosen the skin and rub chicken seasoning under it and a little on it.

Set up a grill, smoker at 300f and pop the top on a coke, gingerale or beer and insert into the cavity and stand the bird up and steady it. Then spray the skin with "I cannot believe its not butter" to begin and when you check on it about every hour. Cook until the thigh joints get loose. Also known as "Drunk Chicken" when using beer because the legs get loose at the end.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
All this talk of food and I'm thinking of buying a Charcoal Pizza Oven, nothing fancy, bog standard cheapo to see if I like it.....I have friends in the states who love their Smokers..perhaps that will catch on over here too....:ROFLMAO:
pizza oven.jpg

I too have little room left for plants in my patch just filling the borders out will be a joy if its done correctly.
We are due 20-30 mm of rain an hour shortly so no need to water tonight hip hip hooray....lol
Never tried cow dung but what I do know is...I used well rotted horse manure last year and I think thats were the saw fly came from...you know as well as I do that dung attracts all manner of insects and their larvae so introducing this fertilizer into the garden is not without its risks, especially where fruit is concerned....just a thought.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes you're right, got to be careful. I only use compost from the compost bins and used compost. Do get chicken manure pellets, but don't use them much.
Only use manure at the end of the season because it come from end of the reason? I mean horse cow or human feeding reasons. Ok I will stop now. I would never make a rapper music person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question