3: Gardening Diaries ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It been a loving day again like everywhere else. Mowed the lawn this evening and potted on some petunia and marigolds. I got a really good tan with working outside all the time, back of my neck is very tanned, I get used to the heat after a while.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think I would be happy if I can get a meconopsis, scoff icecream on that bench!:LOL: And with the weather to go with it. My fritillaria imperalis are now nothing but bald stalks. Slugs and snails have removed all the leaves and as @johnny canoe pointed out, they emitted an odious smell, as offensive as that left by a fox. My orange ones came to nothing and someone (snail, slug or lily beetle???) drilled a hole in a stalk and has turned the colour a thin strip of brown!

I think the wedding cake looks so distinctive. I will keep mine in a pot and sink it into ground after I have moved.

You've got a tan already:eek:? Pull another one!:LOL: Be careful! Too much sun can hurt your skin. I have 2 hours outside and my neck still feels tender to the touch! Do you know how to store the fritillaria imperalis's bulbs please? Or you just left them in the ground last year, Perki?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My crown Imperial fritillaria are in the ground planted with lots of sand. When your have gone over totally you could dig them up and store them in sand or pot them up in a gritty / sandy / compost mix, I think they smell of cannabis.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all. Sun has already come out and I was hanging clothes out. Watered a few plants and despatched quite a few SS to meet their makers. Quite annoying as they are everywhere. Prepare for a bonfire tonight.

Going to sow more seeds today as I can see seeds germinating just like that. Very nice.

@Perki Thank you. I will pot them up with a gritty mix. They were two slugs on their crown just now!:devil:

Such a lovely time to see the garden as there were lot of lovely flowers on, Perki!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I might sow my runner beans today. Might go with hubby to the GC to help him lift the bags of compost, he hasn't made up his mind if he wants me to go. Going to be hot again.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Logan: Go and enjoy yourself - I love going to GCs .. A child let loose in a sweet shop and that's me! Won't go there for 2 weeks as I haven't bought car insurance yet. Will buy on 20 and get MOT on the same date!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Alp: I didn't go hubby said that he could manage. I told him to get help with the lifting, but he said that he was ok and he was careful with putting it in the car. I might go there when the winter bulbs are in, in the autumn.

Make sure that you have the right insurance for you and your needs.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
He should really get somebody to load compost for him. Funny is that I saw a man holding 120L Verve compost like a baby! I couldn't believe my eyes. It was such a heavy load. The quality of the Wyevale mpc is terrible. I won't get it even if reduced.. It's so hot that I have to sit down. Even now I am sweating. I will be active later. Need to shield the pots from the sun. Will take some cuttings later from my viburnum p mariesii.

About 4 Indian Chiefs have flowered and the peony is wide open.
penyred.jpg
peonyred1.jpg
idian1.jpg
idian1.jpg
indian3.jpg
indian8.jpg

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes he should, he is sensible,I did tell him to ask for help, he said that he was alright.thanks

I use Westland MPC that's the best. It used to be buy 2 and get 3rd free. Now it's buy 3 get 4th free.

Your peony and irises are lovely and colourful.

Some of my columbines are out, take a pic later.
Just been weeding at the back of the blackberry canes. Pulling up all those kleevers.

Got a thornless blackberry and it keeps sending up shoots with thorns on it. I forget that it's there and I get pricked by it.

It's best not to go out in the garden in the afternoon when it's hot like this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nice Iris and peony Alp.

When I go garden centre I always ask if someone needs help lifting bags of compost, I asked a chap last time cause it looked like he crashed his trolley with bags of compost on but he was just waiting for his over half.

It been a nice sunny day not to warm probably around 20c, but its started raining about hour ago. Its got that nice fresh air smell to the rain, garden needed watering anyway :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got some pictures of my pots / other bits over the last few days, I were going to put them on the other day but couldn't be bothered after putting all the others on Sunday.

DSC00013.JPG

This is a newish daffodil called Victoria Von dem busche, it a lovely velvety white flowers
DSC00001.JPG

Yellow one opened yesterday
DSC00007.JPG
DSC00008.JPG
DSC00015.JPG
DSC00012.JPG
DSC00019.JPG
DSC00005.JPG

I did get some camelia flowers but they didn't last 2 mins with the warm weather, only flowered a few days.
DSC00001.JPG

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@Perki they look amazing. I haven't got any new flowers opening at the moment, still got the wallflowers and tulips. Waiting till the end of the month so i can plant out the pot marigolds, or when the spring bedding has finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question