Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's a very happy man - we need him in this miserable weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's a very happy man - we need him in this miserable weather.
Hahaha..Indeed @alp ..but we have been just hit by a torrential shower of rain an utter deluge for a half hour now, its bouncing off the Tarmac driveway and running a stream down the back garden...I see my Rhubarb crown getting a right soaking...OH now Thunder and Lightening WOW! such a loud clap and flash.....whatever next :(

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, dear! Who WHO has pinched the sun!? I was cleaning the lean to the whole day and the cloudy weather is actually ideal to work in. But to have torrents and downpour is so unfair! The weather is not going to be any better for the next few days!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I've put some of the pot marigolds in the lean-to greenhouse, but it started to rain so couldn't finish it. Did a bit of weeding where I'm going to put my parsnips. Still got to sow the beetroot and tomatoes. Do the runner beans at beginning of may.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well planned, Logan! (y) With this kind of weather, you just don't know. I think I will try to germinate my melon, again, and white and green marbled squash which I will train UPWARD, as advised by @Upsy Daisy . I will also harvest them YOUNG! LOL!

Need to sort out my lean to and the compost bins before I have time to worry about gardening. Shame!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went GC this morning but rather disappointed didn't see anything I fancied, just picked up a dahlia tuber for the sake of getting something. Back home and washed the bike.

Pottered around the garden this afternoon / evening doing weeding / feeding / applying slug wool pellets around vulnerable plants. Tidied up all the clematis and mulched feed etc , give the roses some top rose and mulched and sorted out the rest of the lilys. Just got back in now after spiking the back lawn and top dressing , not ideal for top dressing at this time dew was starting to form on the grass making it harder to spread the top dressing, may have to do a quick brush / rake round tomorrow, I'll probably do a overseed while I am at it.

Keep doing lots of jobs in the garden but it seems many other jobs keep coming.

It not rained at all today :D even the sun popped out behind the clouds now and again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Pottered around the garden this afternoon / evening doing weeding / feeding / applying slug wool pellets
Let me know how you get on with the pellets/wool...I tried them last year to no avail..
Taking care of the grass is an art form and going the whole nine yards sure does pay off here's my efforts from last year...sadly today its still under water :(

BeforeAfter Collage.jpg

20170523_180618.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking good BigC, Lawns are always the most undervalued plant in the garden, its a shame really cause in most cases it the largest part / plant of the garden which sets off the rest of the garden :).

I been using wool pellets for 2 years now, I do think they work for a while, just long enough for most plants to get big enough to withstand slug damage, not in every case though. They are expensive and don't last long enough either. I don't like using slug pellets and if I do I use organic ones, I tried nematodes last year and I didn't notice a difference whats so ever, I dunno whether to try them again . I go out at night with a touch sometimes and brush them up, I can get hundreds of little ones around the lawn edges.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all and to a wet ground and another boring day. No sunshine to speak of and the long wait to spring is still a wait ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Neighbour has frogs. but I have seen 2 dead bodies already. Apparently, they help. My phlox was covered with two slugs in broad daylight. We're too busy to sort out the lean to to worry about that. But the battle will commence soon.

It will get beautiful soon, @BigC !

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow 4.53 I see your still an early riser @Logan :)

Yes with 2 goldies to look after up at 4.45am.:)
But early to bed or sleep on the settee until 10.30pm, then they go for their last wee.:)

Your lawn looks amazing, ours has moss in it, it's just moss in a lot of places.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all ( I won't add Good)

What a dreary old day.......and I'm working today too!!:eek: Kids arrive at 8 . Frantically planning what we can do to keep them occupied.....

Catch up this evening, have a good day:)(y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all ( I won't add Good)

What a dreary old day.......and I'm working today too!!:eek: Kids arrive at 8 . Frantically planning what we can do to keep them occupied.....

Catch up this evening, have a good day:)(y)

Ideal for kids day - no prospect of proper gardening. The south is the sulk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question