3: Gardening Diaries ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You're not alone @alp..... I'm having trouble getting mint to germinate.....mint!!!!!!! There is normally a problem controlling
the rampant stuff!!! I still have a couple of pots of of it, but thought a fresh batch would be nice this year....mmmm maybe not!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@BigC I used to have the same mentality. When I hosted my own bootsale, a man came to me and asked me to sell my marrow ( more than 1 foot long and 4 or 5 inches across at 50p each and he would get two. I was so depressed and was on the point of crossing out the £1 each into 50p. But then someone else came along and one even asked me to keep the change. Think about what price you get price from the shop and charge it so that you make money. There are wealthy people around. As long as your workmanship is good, they will pay for it. Friends or not, make sure you make a decent percentage of interest. Sell it on gumtree and ask buyers collect. You will be surprised.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You're not alone @alp..... I'm having trouble getting mint to germinate.....mint!!!!!!! There is normally a problem controlling
the rampant stuff!!! I still have a couple of pots of of it, but thought a fresh batch would be nice this year....mmmm maybe not!

Mint???? Ah, you've made my morning! Although I have to sit next to the window to get my plant delivered by Royal Mail. There is nothing royal about them. They sent me an email, asking me to do a keepsafe. When I clicked it - Buy a keepsafe! I ask you, the ceo earns million and yet we peasants have to be robbed to pay him. Buy a keepsafe?? It used to be free! The world is getting vicious when it comes to money! Nearly £3 for postage is not exactly cheap.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh I know.....I have a line up of milk bottle containers full of cosmos, moon marigolds, corncockle, snapdragons, swan daisy, dahlias, delphiniums, bacopa, lobelia....and more!! They are hidden round the back, I have to admit they don't make a pretty sight......my neighbour must be able to see them from their upstairs window, but has never menu them, probably thinks I''ve gone crazy:D:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Anemone Blanda @alp, yes they very pretty , and are now bulking out and spreading. I only have blue.....but my Dad has others that I am eyeing up ;);)(y)

Cargo shorts will have to be worn;) ( if you remember our little joke from last year:D:ROFLMAO:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well I managed to get out of the garden centres pretty much unscathed...I got pretty much what I needed.
3x Saxifragia, 1 Anemone, 2 Terracotta plants, 1 bag of Plum Slate (I'm collecting these as I go along), Tomato plants 2x Ailsa Craig, the missus bought some spent primrose for the terracotta pots they were in x4...and I got some small Bamboo Skewers from the BBQ section in Sainsburys that will make nice plant markers..I'm gonna buy some more at £2 for 50 its a nice deal....Not forgetting a pressurised 1ltr sprayer at £3.....Oh and there's always a bottle of wine lol...As you can see from the pics I've planted the tomatoes, gave them a dose of Epsom salts as I always do and watered in....The greenhouse is still very sparce, but that will surely change when the chilli production takes off....Its been a fine day today greenhouse temps reached 80'F so onward and upwards I hope...

First Plantings 2018.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@BigC You geisha has competition
SAM_0167.JPG

Went to Summerhill, again! Our favorite bolthole when the airs were foul.

That really spoilt my fun. Saw some beautiful paw paw with flowers:eek::eek:! Never knew it had flowers. I still had the seeds from last year. I wonder if they are still viable.
SAM_0163.JPG

Saw some very quaint flowers there!
SAM_0164.JPG

And my beloved abutilon!
SAM_0166.JPG

The fritillary imperalis are putting up a good show!

SAM_0169.JPG
SAM_0170.JPG

Here are some of my garden spring flowers

Daff and the 2nd one was ravaged by some critter. Please use your imagination to complete the flower!
SAM_0190.JPG
SAM_0192.JPG

I love this one. The orange is so pretty!
SAM_0189.JPG
SAM_0182.JPG

My yellow osteospermum! Overwintered in my lean to.

I had 3 deliveries today. One for clematis x 3

Josephine, Diamantina, and Crystal Foundation.

2nd delivery for my Stipa gigantia or stipa miniscule
SAM_0181.JPG

Oh, dear! I don't think it will seed this year. :eek::eek: and a salvia Blue.

Another delivery is the Epsom salt.

Here is a beautiful camellia which I bought from Lidl of all places.

It has two different flowers

SAM_0187.JPG
SAM_0186.JPG

I am so chuffed with them. 2 different flowers on one plant £7.99.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @Logan....so nice to have some colour emerging at long last!
Go for it @alp , well worth a try...what have you to loose? If you've kept the paw paw seeds dry they should be OK.(y) ( I think!!)

Bought my Dad 18 Geraniums ( he likes them around his pond). He never over winters them like my Mum did ( and I do) so I have to restock him every year:)

This afternoon I have been bulb planting in the new border. And also finished planting out the Aubretia too :)

Might plant up some tubs and baskets tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question