IMG_20180406_161620.jpg
IMG_20180406_161611.jpg
IMG_20180406_161603.jpg
IMG_20180406_161138_hdr.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You've done a brilliant job of that house BigC
Nice pictures Upsy you have a lot more colour than me, I don't think my wallflowers have stood up to the weather. what under the plastic bottle ?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to a cloudy day! Heating's still on!

Upsy: You have such a lot of beautiful flowers. I have nothing but hellebores. and they are having seeds now.

I think we have the same camellias. Yesterday, my friend came over and I had to give her the bi-color camellia for her mum's passing. I nearly burst into tears showing her the flower as the other one I thought was bi-color turned out to be a pinkish red and it cost me a lot of grief to be refunded.

Went to Lidl and bought a beautiful camellia for £7.99 on Wednesday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Such a beautiful absorption and obsession! @BigC Is it made of wood? I'd love to live in one!:LOL:;)
Yeah, well not exactly..MDF to be precise lol
Morning All....I see some of us have flowers in their gardens already...the only thing that is blooming round these parts is my early hanging baskets, snowdrops, crocus and a cascade of Daffodils mostly Tete....nothing else except the shop purchased primrose..The pics from others is always a welcomed inspiration...
Now lets talk SLUGS & SNAILS and their eradication (before my beautiful Hostas appear)...Every year I'm involved in an all out war...I dont know why I'm complaining as I'm part of the problem providing them with damp areas in which to hang out and multiply i.e. pond and pots.......That said the war will continue this year, I know I'm never gonna win but I would at least want to get down to manageable levels and have plants that look healthy without being subjected to the manic onslaught of these obsessive munchers. I've tried everything, you name it I've tried it...so I'm thinking I need to devise something in liquid form that adheres to the leaves without stopping them from breathing if thats at all possible...This year I'm going to use slug pellets ground up and soaked in water and administered via a spray (being careful around the pond) but I know this will run off quite easily once a shower of rain comes...I would need something that forms some kind of residue to hold the lethal agent on the plant...any ideas would be more than welcome....Regards C

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Slug pellets are hopeless! I have about 7 pellets in a big pot and in amongst the pellets, there was a big fat long slug! LOL! The best way is to wear a headlight and go out at night and do a mission impossible SLUG-HUNT! Organic, effective and cheap!

The palatial house looks so nice and I thought it was plastic mould. Well done! I reckon you could make a lot of money with your talents ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well done! I reckon you could make a lot of money with your talents ..
Hahaha I've enough on lol..making things for the family and grandkids take up a lit of my time :) Bath caddies and Toyboxes :)

top fin.jpg

20046776_10154782585778059_6884283477882218508_n.jpg

I found slug pellets were giving me and advantage but I had you use a lot of them at ground level...but the little buggers were using commando style methods utilising surrounding flora and fauna to get to the leaves directly..hence the need for a two pronged attack...I cant visualise myself going out lamping on an evening to be honest..I can be obsessive in other areas but certainly not that hahahahahaha

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
BigC - Sell them on ebay and ask buyers to collect. Nice little earners.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
BigC - Sell them on ebay and ask buyers to collect. Nice little earners.
I got a little disheartened with that notion @alp..plenty of distant family interest in those but They do take time and effort to make and material costs...so when I say £120 for a toybox there may be 30 odd hours not to mention materials and paints etc they never reply back..I mean what do they want freebies because they know me :) tis why I shy away from the sales thing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Anyway back to the great outdoors...I'm off to the garden centre this morning (within the next hour) to get me some tomato plants....Ailsa Craig or Alicante whichever they have...I never thought about Lidl for plants @alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Anyway back to the great outdoors...I'm off to the garden centre this morning (within the next hour) to get me some tomato plants....Ailsa Craig or Alicante whichever they have...I never thought about Lidl for plants @alp

Don't go for Alicante. Go for sunCherry or sungold or even buy some finest dewdrops from Tesco and if you like them, keep the seeds and they will grow. Go for flavour otherwise, what is the point of growing your own? @Perki or @marlingardener and others might have better suggestion. I myself planted Tesco finest and had a few last year and they were delicious, but the awful weather didn't prolong the season. I planted them outdoor. When the weather hots up, I hope those seeds not killed will self seed. This year is iffy as the weather has been my nemeses. So they might not self seed at all. Every year, they self seed and say hello.. This year.. :eek::cry::cry:! Even Aubretia seeds sulk me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, gosh how the week flies by!!!

Grey start u to the day here, might even have rain this morning!!:(

Not sure what's under that particular bottle @Perki...thinking about it ,it maybe a clump of Victoria Cross Poppies. When I direct sow anything I sow them and place a yoghurt pot with it's bottom cut out around them ( so I know where they are!(y)) and then I plonk a plastic bottle over the patch until they germinate. It stops the birds from eating the seeds, its amazing how they sit in the trees and wait for you to go in ....then down they all swoop to feast on our hard work. Love them though......just have to think of ways to outwit them, especially as all the bird feeders are full of nibbles for them!:)

Have a lovely weekend everyone:)(y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, Upsy - you've got a variety of beautiful flowers. I like the starry, daisy like blue flowers. They are perfect. I will buy some when they are reduced.

Good idea that! I used my dome and the astrantia have show much better leaves and much earlier. I am so pleased. Imagine our garden full of domes and bottle tops. I still giggle thinking of @Logan 's milk bottle parade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question