28 parrots destroying roses

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Does anyone know how to stop 28 parrots from destroying my roses? They chew the new shoots. I've tried reflection tape and sonic deterrents

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have thrown down those rubber toy snakes near my newly sprouted beans and other transplants. I'm not going to say it works 100% but it does seem to help at least until the birds or rabbits get used them being there which is after they are tall enough to make it. Moving the snakes around daily helps. I'm really not sure how things would go with roses and parrots.

I have also poured the Sevin Dust on new bean shoots and nothing really wants bother them then including deer if you do that.

Another option is to take a piece of hardware cloth and make it hover above the shoots so the birds cant possibly eat or scratch out the new shoots.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I get hundreds of corellas, cockatoos, parakeets and galahs flying overhead here and they only call in for the ripe figs and nectarines. Do yours drop in for a quick meal or are they there all the time?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I would try a rustic approach.
Although it's counterintuitive, put out a water bowl and some birdseed (not parrot seed). I think parrots are gregarious but only amongst themselves. If magpies, noisy minors, New Holland honeyeaters and a range of other birds show up the parrots will keep flying to a different feeding ground.
If the parrots live locally, I would dissemble straw bales into their biscuits and scatter the biscuits over the new shoots of the rose bushes. This will look untidy but will only be required until the new wood hardens. You can use it as mulch afterwards.

Ask a Question