Deer Destroying Everything

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
What is the best way to keep deer out of the gardens? Last year, I lost most of my vegetables to the deer. I'd prefer the method to be inexpensive, but I'm willing to hear anything out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is the best way to keep deer out of the gardens? Last year, I lost most of my vegetables to the deer. I'd prefer the method to be inexpensive, but I'm willing to hear anything out!
Down here in Texas we have millions of the varmints and the only 100% cure for deer is an 8ft fence and or HVLP. There is a product that works fairly well that is called Liquid Fence. You have to re-apply it about every 6 days. It keeps other critters like rabbits away too.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am sorry to hear the deer destroyed your garden last year. Chuck's suggestion maybe the best human way to handle the deer situation in your area. I have seen the deer in the area but not in the yard, they are just taking a walk thru.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I have no personal experience with deer. A friend has a large garden and is involved with deer, rabbits. He put an electric three wire fence around the perimeter. This is relatively cheap an is very effective. Visiting, my little dog touched the bottom wire before I could grab her. She squealed and during the rest of my visit never went closer than about ten foot.

For rabbits I have a 2 foot chicken wire fence that is not wholly effective, since the rabbits will make holes and sometimes the gate is open by mistake.

I am not aware of any chemicals that are effective as a deterrent. A dog wandering in the yard also can help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My dad used to have a lot of problems with deer invading thw gardens and destroying everything. His best solution was to wrap chicken wire around the gardens and build a gate with it. It was a cheap solution and did the job. I think it even worked to keep bunnies and dogs out too if I remember right.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Molly Gene, this is not from my personal experience and please take it with a grain of salt. I was talking to a gardener down the road that has Sandy Creek running through his property, and therefore a deer problem because the deer come to drink and then munch on his garden and trees.
He swears by putting dryer sheets on 3' poles around his garden to deter deer depredation. He also hangs the dryer sheets on his fruit trees and pecan trees. I asked if there was a particular brand or scent that repelled the deer, and he said it didn't matter, but he thought the "smellier, the better." He renews the sheets after a rain, or when they don't smell very much. He uses clip clothes pins to attach the sheets to the poles or trees.
I know it sounds silly and it may not work for you, but I thought I'd offer this idea as a suggestion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Molly Gene, this is not from my personal experience and please take it with a grain of salt. I was talking to a gardener down the road that has Sandy Creek running through his property, and therefore a deer problem because the deer come to drink and then munch on his garden and trees.
He swears by putting dryer sheets on 3' poles around his garden to deter deer depredation. He also hangs the dryer sheets on his fruit trees and pecan trees. I asked if there was a particular brand or scent that repelled the deer, and he said it didn't matter, but he thought the "smellier, the better." He renews the sheets after a rain, or when they don't smell very much. He uses clip clothes pins to attach the sheets to the poles or trees.
I know it sounds silly and it may not work for you, but I thought I'd offer this idea as a suggestion.
Could you ask him if it works for coons in his fruit trees if he has any? I manage to get a crop of peaches about every 3 years because of them

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Chuck, I'll happily ask, but we really don't have a raccoon problem here, due to the coyotes. I'll ask a couple of gardeners in a nearby town, because the "townies" do have a raccoon problem. If any offer a solution, I'll pass it on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
images

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, I'll happily ask, but we really don't have a raccoon problem here, due to the coyotes. I'll ask a couple of gardeners in a nearby town, because the "townies" do have a raccoon problem. If any offer a solution, I'll pass it on.
We have coyotes out the yazoo here too and I am not sure who eats the most of who. At least the coyotes are strictly carnivores. The coons and possums eat everything.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Chuck, I struck out on the raccoon question. The town dwellers just put bungee cords over their garbage can lids, and let their dogs out into the fenced yard to discourage the 'coons. I don't think that would work for us!
Sorry, I would really have liked to be of help:(.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck, I struck out on the raccoon question. The town dwellers just put bungee cords over their garbage can lids, and let their dogs out into the fenced yard to discourage the 'coons. I don't think that would work for us!
Sorry, I would really have liked to be of help:(.
Well, I figured that was too much to hope for. Living out in the country presents problems that most folks can't even imagine. Thanks for asking

PS.........how did the serrano's turn out?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have deer and I know what works! I live in the country too and right now there are deer everywhere. I am a bit hesitant to even plant anything this year because there are that many out here. I tried the pepper sprays and the garlic spray and even some flowers that they aren't supposed to like but they got eaten up the first night that I planted them...Marigolds. They love the potatoe vines, so don't even go there with that plant if you have deer.

I finally found what does work though and you are going to be surprised. You do have to move them every once a month or at least a couple of weeks. They are the cheapest thigns that I have used and they can be re-used year after year.

DEERCHASERS 003.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Oh yes, LadyG, that also works for mockingbirds that peck at tomatoes, and to keep meadowlarks from eating corn seed. Those little foil, shiny whirligig thingys ought to be sold at garden stores!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh yes, LadyG, that also works for mockingbirds that peck at tomatoes, and to keep meadowlarks from eating corn seed. Those little foil, shiny whirligig thingys ought to be sold at garden stores!
Oh but the prices will go up. At Walmart they are less than $1.00.

Ask a Question