13 Plants That Repel Mosquitoes

Reaction score
@ChanellG Gosh, I totally feel ya! I was looking at my arm today and wow! It is super dark D: Today it was so cool and nice :) A very cool breeze, I just can't wait for fall, so I can get a break from this scorching heat. I don't think I had ever gotten a tan like the one I got this year, ever..D:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@ChanellG Gosh, I totally feel ya! I was looking at my arm today and wow! It is super dark D: Today it was so cool and nice :) A very cool breeze, I just can't wait for fall, so I can get a break from this scorching heat. I don't think I had ever gotten a tan like the one I got this year, ever..D:

Fall seems to have finally arrived, though it still gets a bit hot in the afternoons. The breeze is rustling enough outside the window this morning to make me think it could rain, but we shall see. Wish the mosquitoes would depart...

Reaction score
@ChanellG Don't worry, they will soon, I hope you guys have a good winter, not a weak one like the one we had, no wonder this year we saw more mosquitos, but today it seems to be better :) i'm not 100 sure the fall is here yet, but it does seem to be getting cooler, so much the fan is off during most of the day :) It's a nice change!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@ChanellG Don't worry, they will soon, I hope you guys have a good winter, not a weak one like the one we had, no wonder this year we saw more mosquitos, but today it seems to be better :) i'm not 100 sure the fall is here yet, but it does seem to be getting cooler, so much the fan is off during most of the day :) It's a nice change!

Fall rolled in last weekend, but now we seem to have skipped ahead to early winter. It was so gray and windy today it was more like December than October.

Reaction score
Fall rolled in last weekend, but now we seem to have skipped ahead to early winter. It was so gray and windy today it was more like December than October.

We had a similar Sunday! Do you think it's possible that actually happens? Over here we rarely get a fall, so I'd not be surprised if this also just an early winter. Not complaining though,I seem to sleep better during winter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
We had a similar Sunday! Do you think it's possible that actually happens? Over here we rarely get a fall, so I'd not be surprised if this also just an early winter. Not complaining though,I seem to sleep better during winter!

I'd hate for winter to be here to stay! It would likely be the end of most of my edibles! The temperature is supposed to climb back up into the 70s today and the sun is supposed to return. Of course, I'll believe it when I see it, but as long as the wind dies down it will be an improvement over yesterday.

Reaction score
@ChanellG Don't worry, I'm sure it's just fall :) I don't think we have reached that point in which we are already skipping fall just like that :) Over here is definitely fall already, it's official :) Our fall usually last one and half months D: I hope yours is much longer! Also, best of luck with your edibles, I do hope you more time to harvest them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is good to know. Thanks for sharing. I have such a mosquito problem in my back yard in the summer time. The candles help but they don’t completely eliminate the problem. It’s a shame because I makes me not want to sit outside at night time during the summer. I am going to plant lemongrass next year around my patio to see if this helps at all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
The was an unexpected offshoot of information when they were doing a research project at, I think, Warwick University, U.K.. The research was into the life cycle of the mosquito and they came across an interesting phenomenon. They used mosquitos in controlled conditions to bite some of the researchers. Some were bitten a lot more than others.

After a fair amount of research they came to the conclusion that, for some people, what you ate made a difference to how attractive you were to mosquitos.

Apparently the mosquitos didn't like people who had eaten foods high in vitamins B3 and especially B12. This came about because some of the less bitten researchers all liked to spread Marmite on their bread/toast. So they followed it up with further research and came to the conclusion that one food that attracted the mosquitos was bananas. They thought that they could smell/sense banana oozing through the pores on their skin.

This was not an in depth study as it wasn't part of what they were researching, so isn't a valid conclusion - but I don't eat bananas when there a lot of mosquitos around :)

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I have lemon grass and marigold in my garden, however, I don't think marigold and lemon grass repel mosquitoes. I don't know about catnip because I have never grown it. However, I am almost certain lemon grass and marigold do not repel mosquito. In fact, when ever I tend my marigold and lemon grass, I experience mosquito bites

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I have lemon grass and marigold in my garden, however, I don't think marigold and lemon grass repel mosquitoes. I don't know about catnip because I have never grown it. However, I am almost certain lemon grass and marigold do not repel mosquito. In fact, when ever I tend my marigold and lemon grass, I experience mosquito bites

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I don't know about catnip but I can say that lemon grass and marigold certainly cannot repel mosquitoes. I have lemon grass and marigold in my garden and when I go to tend these plants, I can experience mosquito bites.

Ask a Question