13 Plants That Repel Mosquitoes

Reaction score
This might be useful to those who are still trying to fight off the mosquitoes :) or want to be ready for the next year ;) Get some of those!

Lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus)
Mosquitoes hate the lemony scent of this plant. With some patience, you can easily grow this plant in your garden. You just have to buy stalks easily available in the market. Lemongrass prefers good drainage and full sun. However, it’s important to understand that this beautiful tropical plant does not tolerate freezing temperatures.

Catnip (Nepeta cataria)
For some gardeners, this is a perennial. For others, it is an annual plant. Catnip is considered about 10 times more effective than DEET for repelling mosquitoes. However, this plant has a tendency to be quite invasive.

If it’s in the garden bed, cats can crush this plant. But you can keep a couple of them in hanging containers to avoid both problems.

Marigold (Tagetes spp.)
This is a sun loving annual plant. Besides mosquitoes, this one can also repel aphids. It can be an exceptional companion plant for the vegetable garden. Marigold plants are very easy to maintain. You don’t need a lot of care to keep them healthy and flourishing.

This is a border plant that offers the simplicity to collect seeds for next year’s planting. Due to this, Marigold is an excellent addition. However, you should never rub this plant on your skin.

http://plantcaretoday.com/13-plants-repel-mosquitoes.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing this list. It's very useful. Here, where I live, mosquitoes are especially nasty, hungry and sneaky. I hate them so much:confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Pardon me for this comment, I just want to set the record straight. We have lemon grass in front of the house and by the side of our house. It was planted since 2001 so we have a long experience. As with being a mosquito repellent, I guess there is a process involved. Simply having lemon grass as a plant will not drive away the mosquitoes. For best results, you crush the lemon grass on a tray and display it... the odor will dry away the pests.

Reaction score
@Corzhens Thanks for the tip :) I didn't know that, I might try it next year if mosquitoes get really nasty ;) Lemongrass is not a hard herb to come by over here, neither are the others. To be honest I don't think most plants can scare away many mosquitoes on their own, unless they are really smelly, I guess.

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this list. It's very useful. Here, where I live, mosquitoes are especially nasty, hungry and sneaky. I hate them so much:confused:

Same here, but I think in the Netherlands it will be worse next year than last, specially if the winters keep being so warm D: This year I heard a lot mosquitoes were seen, very big and hungry! I always seem to be the one they go after :p I guess my blood is to sweet. Does the same happen to you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have to say, I live in the deep south in the U.S. where the mosquito population is diverse and abundant and I have all kinds of plants in my yard, but those buggers still keep coming. I have lavender, lemongrass, marigold, geranium, citronella geranium, basil, bee balm (monarda), lemon verbena, lemon basil...

What I have found most effective this year, not just for mosquitoes but unwanted bugs in general, is the plants that attract beneficials. I saw dragonflies hanging out recently in the area where the mosquitoes like to congregate in the shade, and there are lots of toads and lizards in my yard.

I just increased the amount of aromatic plants again though - more lavender and marigold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Same here, but I think in the Netherlands it will be worse next year than last, specially if the winters keep being so warm D: This year I heard a lot mosquitoes were seen, very big and hungry! I always seem to be the one they go after :p I guess my blood is to sweet. Does the same happen to you?
Not really, mosquitoes seem to prefer my boyfriend. His blood must be very, very sweet;) They also love my gradfather. He can't spend time in the garden because of them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Lucky for me the "mozzies" love my husband more than me. I know they're desperate when they start on me!!! :confused: They really can spoil things. We've tried lots of things but the good old spray on repellent seems to be the most reliable. That's what the good old Aussie summer smells like, a barbie (bbq) cooking and areoguard.

Reaction score
@DeborahJane That sounds delightful ;) But it does suck to be the one they always go after, you are so lucky :p Mosquitoes seem to be always after me, I end up being the one with the most bites in the house. I'm not using anything to repel them yet, mostly because I no longer spend that much time outdoors and this year it wasn't so bad.

Reaction score
@claudine I'm starting to see a pattern here :p It seems most gardeners on here don't attract that many mosquitoes, but I do! I have to be brief when spending time in the garden, or else I'll be back in with a lot mosquito bites. You are so lucky mosquitoes prefer your boyfriend, hehehe, I bet you can spend a better time outside not attracting those annoying little mosquitoes. I've several around me after just 10 minutes outside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
@Corzhens Thanks for the tip :) I didn't know that, I might try it next year if mosquitoes get really nasty ;) Lemongrass is not a hard herb to come by over here, neither are the others. To be honest I don't think most plants can scare away many mosquitoes on their own, unless they are really smelly, I guess.

I just remembered what a friend used to do with the lemon grass. She would grind the lemon grass and mixed with coconut oil, the ordinary cheap oil. After soaking the lemon grass in oil for 24 hours, she would use the concoction to wipe the corners of their house. She said it is an effective repellent for mosquitoes and flies. But I don't have that experience yet.

Reaction score
I have to say, I live in the deep south in the U.S. where the mosquito population is diverse and abundant and I have all kinds of plants in my yard, but those buggers still keep coming. I have lavender, lemongrass, marigold, geranium, citronella geranium, basil, bee balm (monarda), lemon verbena, lemon basil...

What I have found most effective this year, not just for mosquitoes but unwanted bugs in general, is the plants that attract beneficials. I saw dragonflies hanging out recently in the area where the mosquitoes like to congregate in the shade, and there are lots of toads and lizards in my yard.

I just increased the amount of aromatic plants again though - more lavender and marigold.

Thanks for the tip, I like idea more than the idea of using mosquito repellent! I heard an article about how to attract more ''wild life'' to ones garden, like for example frogs, lizards, etc. I might do that later on if I go for the pond idea after some years, I'd like to do the same thing my in laws did with their front yard and turn it into a little pond. I'll try to plant more lavender as well :D Lots of aromatic herbs!

Reaction score
@Corzhens Coconut oil and lemongrass? That sounds good! I might give it a try in the future, but over here coconut oil is not very cheap ;) Not sure about the place where I will be settling down for good next year, I have heard you can find that kind if things for very cheap. Just last night I checked the price of coconut milk online, the LiDL sells it and is not as expensive as it is over here. I might try this tip out if mosquitoes get really nasty next year (lots of canals).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We get mosquitoes in the summer, and they are vicious blood suckers, Like @Trellum mosquitoes love me and I have to limit my outside time in the garden.

@Corzhens love the idea of using lemongrass and coconut oil! I have to find the cheap version of coconut oil and try this out for next summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks for the tip, I like idea more than the idea of using mosquito repellent! I heard an article about how to attract more ''wild life'' to ones garden, like for example frogs, lizards, etc. I might do that later on if I go for the pond idea after some years, I'd like to do the same thing my in laws did with their front yard and turn it into a little pond. I'll try to plant more lavender as well :D Lots of aromatic herbs!

I don't like mosquito repellent. I have to be desperate to spray it on, and this past summer it didn't do much good for much time. I found myself having to do it three times per day, then at a point my skin started to sting when I applied it so that was the end of that.

Ask a Question