13 Plants That Repel Mosquitoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My fiance is a bit obsessive, when he hears a mosquito flying near his ear he feels the need to hunt him down until he can find it and kill it. Otherwise he just can't sleep :O I on the other hand... just cover my head ;)
When I hear a mosquito flying near my ear, I get up, run away to the bathroom and ask my boyfriend to hunt it down;) I really hate mosquitoes! They might carry diseases:confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
When I hear a mosquito flying near my ear, I get up, run away to the bathroom and ask my boyfriend to hunt it down;) I really hate mosquitoes! They might carry diseases:confused:

ROFLOL! And you are correct! I saw something on the news yesterday about a couple of newly reported cases of West Nile. I miss the days when all you had to worry about was malaria, and only when traveling to exotic locales. Mosquitoes also transmit disease to domestic animals.

Reaction score

They do, some of them at least. They had a problem in the Caribbean last year I think because of the Chikinkuya virus, but mosquitoes can also transmit other disease. They are always warning us about being careful not to keep any kind of container with stagnant water for that reason.

Reaction score
ROFLOL! He would lose his mind in New Orleans! Those pesky suckers are everywhere! I seem to have them under control in my backyard - as much as that is possible when you can't completely eradicate them. I'd love to have some carnivorous plants to put about. :sneaky:

Yeah, he'd totally lose it over there! Hahaha, he is such a spoiled boy, he thinks his place his hot, but he didn't grow up in my place ;) I just hope this winter is colder over there, this year they saw some really huge mosquitoes. Last year the winter was so mild, so a lot of them didn't even die D:

Reaction score
@Fernsdaddy I think someone had already mentioned a citronella plant, but I am always willing to try anything ;) After all it's just plants and they serve as decoration as well =D This would be the first time I ever own one of those plants, I'm sure I will find it at that gardening center we have near our house. Thanks for the tip :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ROFLOL! And you are correct! I saw something on the news yesterday about a couple of newly reported cases of West Nile. I miss the days when all you had to worry about was malaria, and only when traveling to exotic locales. Mosquitoes also transmit disease to domestic animals.
This is so scary:eek: I thought I'm just paranoid and a hypochondriac, but it seems like mosquitoes can be really dangerous. Now, I hate them even more.
Fortunately, this summer has been really hot and dry, so there aren't as many mosquitoes as usual here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is so scary:eek: I thought I'm just paranoid and a hypochondriac, but it seems like mosquitoes can be really dangerous. Now, I hate them even more.
Fortunately, this summer has been really hot and dry, so there aren't as many mosquitoes as usual here.

This summer for us was beyond hot as well as humid and the mosquitoes are everywhere. We have them in cooler weather, not just the heat of summer - I guess because of all the moisture. One seems to have gotten in the house too this morning... grrrr!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yeah, he'd totally lose it over there! Hahaha, he is such a spoiled boy, he thinks his place his hot, but he didn't grow up in my place ;) I just hope this winter is colder over there, this year they saw some really huge mosquitoes. Last year the winter was so mild, so a lot of them didn't even die D:

Our winter was mild and as a result the split leaf philodenron is threatening to take over the yard. I really need to cut it back and cut some of it down completely. I think the lack of real winter cold also had an effect on my garlic. I only had a few very tiny bulbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This summer for us was beyond hot as well as humid and the mosquitoes are everywhere. We have them in cooler weather, not just the heat of summer - I guess because of all the moisture. One seems to have gotten in the house too this morning... grrrr!
Usually, there are a lot of mosquitoes in my city, too. I live near a very big river and the humidity here is crazy. Sometimes I feel like I'm breathing water, lol;) But this year the strangest thing happened and almost all mosquitoes disappeared. As far as I know, it's because of the climate change:)

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
@Mint Do they love you as much as they love me? I hope not :p It always seems the mosquitoes are actually after me, their last resort has always been my mom, then my step dad. LOL. I was reading only females do that, and that they have a preference for certain blood. i guess I am just so unlucky .P
Ha ha ha! I don't get that many bites, just the occasional bored sting:sneaky:. I use a repellant that is not sprayed but plugged into an electric socket the entire night. No smell, no mosquitos, great sleep.

Reaction score
@Mint We are getting one of those (or maybe several) next year :) I hope it works as good we I have heard they do. This year I didn't get a lot bites, but then again, I'm spending zero times outdoors (no more gardening until I move out). Otherwise my legs and arms would be covered in mosquito bites ;)

Reaction score
@ChanellG I'm just praying winter gets here as soon as possible to be honest, I just can no longer stand this heat. I hope this year is longer and colder for us, this is just not natural and good for our plants. So sorry about your garlic, but you split leaf philodenron seems to be having the time of its life, hehehe! Best of luck with that one! How I wish there still were wild sunflowers growing on the other side of the street, I bet we'd be seeing a lot of them this summer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Be careful what you wish for, @Trellum! I have been wishing for drier air, since for us it automatically means less heat feel. While it doesn't necessarily feel cool outside unless you're in the shade with a breeze, I've noticed I have to use lotion on my skin again.

I have absolutely no desire to be cold; just less hot. When winter rolls around I'll be hoping for mild temperatures so I am not freezing my buns off.

Reaction score
@ChanellG Here where i am living right now the air is very dry, but the sun... feels like is burning you. My right arm is very dark, darker than my right one. It's crazy, but this year I got a tan! unplanned one, lol. But during the winter the air is also dry, and that hurts! I need to use hand cream for my hands, or else they will get little cuts due the cold and dry air :( But in the Netherlands, specially that part where I will be living the air is wet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Trellum, I got so dark this past summer it was unreal! Its how I knew summer had abated as my skin started changing and everything started growing again. Of course it hasn't made a difference in the number of gosh darn mosquitoes...

Ask a Question