13 Plants That Repel Mosquitoes

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
We have lots of mosquitoes too, especially when it rains. It is as if the place is buzzing with the little guzzlers everywhere. I found a great repellent for use in the house but might just want to try lemon grass for the outside. Thanks!

Reaction score
I don't like mosquito repellent. I have to be desperate to spray it on, and this past summer it didn't do much good for much time. I found myself having to do it three times per day, then at a point my skin started to sting when I applied it so that was the end of that.

I have the same problem, that is why I avoid it like the plague :/ I just don't like to apply those chemical things on my skin, we don't really know what's in them. Plus I seem to be allergic to quite a bit stuff D: So I can totally get you, I hope I don't get too desperate once I am living near all those canals...

Reaction score
@Mint Do they love you as much as they love me? I hope not :p It always seems the mosquitoes are actually after me, their last resort has always been my mom, then my step dad. LOL. I was reading only females do that, and that they have a preference for certain blood. i guess I am just so unlucky .P

Reaction score
@IcyBC I recently read that mosquitoes seem to prefer people of certain blood types, type O and A blood types seem to be their preferred choice. Is your blood type A or O? Mine is O+. So yes, it seems to be about right. Bad luck, I guess. It seems those with type B blood are less attractive to them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@IcyBC I recently read that mosquitoes seem to prefer people of certain blood types, type O and A blood types seem to be their preferred choice. Is your blood type A or O? Mine is O+. So yes, it seems to be about right. Bad luck, I guess. It seems those with type B blood are less attractive to them.

Those must be confused mosquitoes then, @Trellum :) My blood type is AB, I believe, one of those confused human too, haha! I planted citronella by the door before, and put them by my chair where I wanted to sit outside, but I still get bit all over my ankles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have the same problem, that is why I avoid it like the plague :/ I just don't like to apply those chemical things on my skin, we don't really know what's in them. Plus I seem to be allergic to quite a bit stuff D: So I can totally get you, I hope I don't get too desperate once I am living near all those canals...

I live near the river and it rains a lot. With all the standing water all the time you can imagine what it's like at the garden center. I rub fresh basil leaves on my skin, when it can get it bee balm as well. Olive oil is helpful as it makes it harder for them to land on you, but I've yet to make a really aromatic oil. I did experiment with a basil tea last year though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
@claudine I'm starting to see a pattern here :p It seems most gardeners on here don't attract that many mosquitoes, but I do! I have to be brief when spending time in the garden, or else I'll be back in with a lot mosquito bites. You are so lucky mosquitoes prefer your boyfriend, hehehe, I bet you can spend a better time outside not attracting those annoying little mosquitoes. I've several around me after just 10 minutes outside.
That must be awful, mosquitoes are the most annoying little creatures in the whole world. This summer, I only got bitten by them once, so I'm incredibly lucky.

Reaction score
@claudine I got bitten a few times even indoors this year ;) But I am sure next year I'll be bitten all over , I'll be spending a lot time outside having fun with our garden. Someone has to do it ;)

Reaction score
I live near the river and it rains a lot. With all the standing water all the time you can imagine what it's like at the garden center. I rub fresh basil leaves on my skin, when it can get it bee balm as well. Olive oil is helpful as it makes it harder for them to land on you, but I've yet to make a really aromatic oil. I did experiment with a basil tea last year though.

The fresh basil leaves rubbed against your skin did help to keep them away a bit? I might have to try that on my legs, that's the place where they bite me the most, I've gotten bitten even on one of my soles :O I think I will feel your pain next year, I'll also be living very close to the water D: Canals everywhere.

Reaction score
@IcyBC Indeed they must be! I think it must be specially tough for you, given the fact you surely spend a lot time outdoors taking all those amazing pictures (y) I might be doing the same next year, taking more pictures and spending more time outside. I might have to try what chanel suggested ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
@claudine I got bitten a few times even indoors this year ;) But I am sure next year I'll be bitten all over , I'll be spending a lot time outside having fun with our garden. Someone has to do it ;)
We installed mosquito nets on every window here, so they can't get inside:) It was necessary, because I can't stand the noise they make. One tiny mosquito can keep me awake all night:confused:

Reaction score
We installed mosquito nets on every window here, so they can't get inside:) It was necessary, because I can't stand the noise they make. One tiny mosquito can keep me awake all night:confused:

My fiance is a bit obsessive, when he hears a mosquito flying near his ear he feels the need to hunt him down until he can find it and kill it. Otherwise he just can't sleep :O I on the other hand... just cover my head ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a citronella geranium that is going on 4 years old and it does help to cut down on the mosquitoes, I just like the smell of it when you brush up against it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My fiance is a bit obsessive, when he hears a mosquito flying near his ear he feels the need to hunt him down until he can find it and kill it. Otherwise he just can't sleep :O I on the other hand... just cover my head ;)

ROFLOL! He would lose his mind in New Orleans! Those pesky suckers are everywhere! I seem to have them under control in my backyard - as much as that is possible when you can't completely eradicate them. I'd love to have some carnivorous plants to put about. :sneaky:

Ask a Question