Zucchini light colored on the bottom

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is our first year with a garden so my question(s) be rather newbish in nature. Our plan was to grow them vertically, but that's not how it ended up. As the fruit starts growing, their weight has them on the ground. So they weren't laying directly on the ground, we cut a piece of ground cover cloth for it to lay on. They're getting very large and still very firm so we are considering harvesting them this weekend. I decided to pick them up to look at the underside. The underside is firm as well, but a lot lighter in color. In my new-gardening mind, I assume this is because it doesn't get any light to it from being on the ground but I need to be sure. Will it darken once it is picked? I don't think there is anything wrong with it because I see some like this in the store, but i just want to be sure. I thought about turning it as it grew, but it seems to be too late for that at this point.
IMG_4120.jpg
IMG_4120.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
If your plant foliage is healthy and not deformed then the yellow is not a problem and can be harvested. However, if you are having small fruits fall off deformed looking, then it may be a calcium issue.

Why is my zucchini yellow on the bottom?
The blossom end rot is due to a lack of calcium in the fruits, which is not always caused by soil deficiencies. Calcium inadequacy does not only result in yellow and rotting fruits but also small growth and malformed foliage. Google

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Squash should be picked when young, when they are tender, when they have few small seeds, has the dried bloom still attached and before they start to turn yellow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't think that is blossom end rot. The blossom side would be yellow like oneeye mentioned. This is yellow on the stem side or just the side without light like you mentioned. Picture doesn't show the entire zucchini so its hard to tell. It is normal for a lighter color on the side laying down with no light. Best example would be a watermelon. It will always have a yellow spot. That is the spot that was facing the ground.

If is starts to shrivel the plant is rejecting that particular fruit/veggie. I get that with zucchini, pumkins and watermelons. Rejection can be many things but usually it is lack of water from my experience.

MOD

Ask a Question