Zucchini Issues

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I've been having serious trouble growing zucchini this year for some reason. I have attached a picture. They seem to start off looking OK but then get narrow at the end and begin to turn yellow. I grew zucchini a few years back and never had this issue. Does anyone know what the cause of this is?

Thanks,

20230713_115216.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's something that I tend to see early on in the season. I don't know if I'm right, but I always put it down to them not being fertilized. As the season gets going mine start growing properly.

I've also noticed (although it could be coincidence) that the problem goes away if I hand fertilize.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, yeah, this year all my zucchini plants look like this, which is a real disappointment. I have not been able to harvest a single one, as they are deformed, small and turn yellow. Right as they start, they look really great, but just a few days later you can see the deform shapes coming. I'll have to try fertilizing next year when I replant. Any other tips are great. Thanks.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It's something that I tend to see early on in the season. I don't know if I'm right, but I always put it down to them not being fertilized. As the season gets going mine start growing properly.

I've also noticed (although it could be coincidence) that the problem goes away if I hand fertilize.
I thought you recommend only 1 inch of compost all season, nothing else year to year? So, you actually do add additional fertilizer? What type of fertilizer do you recommend for this?

Ask a Question