Yukon golds green on the vine

Reaction score
Country
United States
I noticed two yukon Golds still in the ground peaking out above the soil. They are obviously turning a bit green. As soon as I noticed, I covered them in more soil. Is it too late (one was almost completely above ground), or will they continue to grow and turn gold?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

You can replant a green potato. It should grow into a new plant as easily as any other potato.
If your goal is to later harvest that exact same green potato, the answer is more complicated.

Plant tissue that are is kept in darkness will begin to etiolate and chlorophyll will break down.

However, how quickly this will happen with a reburied green potato is uncertain. Likely it is variable length of time with regards to temperature, genetics and other factors.

Also secondary compounds such as the toxic solanine compounds in potatoes (Solanum tuberosum) may or may not persist longer in the tissues, if they are even present.

You use the phrase 'still in the ground'. Does this imply that these are potatoes left after a recent harvest?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Save green potatoes for seed potatoes. When I lived in Phoenix area I planted potatoes Nov 1st. Feb frost & freeze killed above soil plants. April 1st harvest potatoes. I notice sun radiation goes 1" deep into soil new potatoes need to be covered up with more than 1" of soil 2" is good.

Ask a Question