Your day apart from gardening

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Cleaned the bird table and put seed on it, filled up the sunflower seed feeders and made some bird cake, put it in a empty margerine tub and hung it up by the bird table.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Last Monday my dear friend Keith passed away.In the morning and evening he has carers to help him,the one in the morning was trying to get Keith to use a hoist but he didn't want to because it's very undignified and he wanted to keep a bit of independence. Every day they kept on about it and last weekend he had a relapse, he sometimes had them but he would recover from them. This time he didn't and it developed into a heart attack, they took him to hospital in the intensive care, he was stable but had another one and they couldn't revive him.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
A week ago my friend Keith passed away, he had a heart attack, the funeral will be on the 5th of November at 9.30 am

Sad to hear that.

It was our friend Pat's funeral on Thursday. He went to college with our youngest son.

Five weeks ago he had a kidney transplant from a live doner. There were complications and he died of a heart attack a couple of weeks later. He also had sickle cell anemia.
But he had a full life. He was a theatre technician at a local hospital. In his time he was a physiotherapist for a well known ice hockey team.
He'd studied acting and was an occasional bit part player in Granada drama programmes, (his parents were West Indian)."They always need a few extras like me."

He had a great sense of humour. When our son was moving into a new house on a posh estate in West Houghton, he was helping him move in. There was a nosey neighbour next door polishing his car in his drive so he could see what was going on. So Pat and our son with the conversation between them pretended it was Pat's house. After a few minutes Pat turned to the man and said "It's your worst nightmare come true, isn't it? We still laugh about that.

He wasn't good at choosing girlfriends, some took advantage of his generosity. So he started to bring them round for my wife to give them a look over, as he considered her his second mum. One day he rang to say he was bringing round this girl "Sally" he'd met at the gym. "She's a power lifter."
We didn't know what to expect, certainly not a pretty little blonde about five foot two and around eight stone. Apparently she went to the gym a lot as she is a civil engineer and is always on building sites, so needed to be physically fit just to cope with walking around sites in the mud.

He rang again the day after they came round "for tea," and asked what she thought.

"She said, "she's a keeper," And she was, we went to their wedding twenty years ago.

He was kind to everyone.
He and his wife about eight years ago were walking in Dunham forest and came across this Malamute dog tied to a tree. There was no one else around and he appeared to be quite friendly, so they took him to the police station, they didn't want to know and sent them to an animal shelter with him.

When they got home, Pat said to Sally, "I didn't like the place" and she said, "neither did I,"

"Shall we have him?" "Yes."

So next day they went back to collect him but were charged £150 as he'd been seen by a vet and had been chipped. They didn't mind.

Despite being on dyalisis at home, before his operation Pat was still getting up at half past five in the morning to take "Sam" for his walk.

He was into a lot of things, he owned three houses he rented out. Did a course on plastering, so he could decorate his and his wife's bungalow they bought. Did a "lumberjacks" course as he called it as it interested him. Lots of trees in their big garden. He was also studying sign language and had completed a couple of parts of that.

He never forgot to bring a card and present round on my wife's birthday.
It was her birthday the week he died.
He left Sally a note to remind her not to forget to take the card and her present round.

It had my wife in bits.

Because of Covid we had to watch the funeral on "Zoom."

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you @Sean Regan I will miss him a lot. I can go to the funeral but that's it, no wake afterwards. His ashes will be scattered in the memorial grounds.
Sorry about your friend Pat he sounded like a great guy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've been heavily weeding and planting my winter garden for the last few days. I'm going on a long bike ride today, just to get the kinks out...:cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Raining again. Bought a huge butternut squash from Amish market Saturday, Huge---as long as my hand to shoulder and curved into the seed area. Roasting it now. When cool, will puree up in 2 cup containers for freezer for future pies, soups, breads. Did make a meal with some of it last night, adding goat cheese, garlic and pine nuts to it over pasta. Will be outside after the rain cleaning outdoor lights with soap and long handle spongy thing. Doing a bunch of laundry now. Retired now since July 17. Interesting.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Just made 2 jam tarts and a apple and rhubarb pie/tart
20201028_090947.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I did a bit of housework. With her MS my wife can't do it all, so I blitzed the kitchen and cleaned and polished my den.... alright our front room.

Over the years we've changed all the furniture in the house, many times. But some things we consider timeless.

Like the big unit in the front room.

P1040622.JPG

We bought it in "Kitchen Queen" a long defunct furniture warehouse in Central Manchester. It was quite expensive. £299, but in 1976. This equates to nearly £2,200 now. It was made in Denmark, It's only thick chipboard, but with real teak veneer. It came in four pieces, the base containing the drawers, two middle bits and the top containing two large cupboards. I had to get a neighbour to help me lift the top on. There's thick wooden dowels in the top of the side panels that keep it in position. It doesn't quite fill that wall, just room for my two big wallmounted Goodmans speakers either side of it. Needless to say, whenever we've had new carpets, which in this room is probably five times, they've been fitted around it.

The capacity is huge. The drawers are very deep.

One of the top cupboards houses some of my CDs in the rack I made by interlocking half a rack over each bottom rack, you can see the join between the two levels. The rest of the cupboard houses my music.

P1040627.JPG

The unit below was designed for a TV. But as soon as we bought it I added a shelf to support my now vintage cassette player and turntable. There's space under the turntable for some cassettes. There's a load more and more CDs in the drawer below.

The selector box between the cassette player and the turntable, enables me to push the sound of the them, the TV , and under it my Humax HDR recorder, DVD/CD player and a VHS player, plus the two jukebox wallboxes on another wall (the ipods store their music) through the vintage Leak tuner/amp on top of this cupboard and my equally vintage speakers, "by pressing a combination of buttons" on it and the tuner/amp.

P1040629.JPG

This cocktail cabinet on the right, has never seen one. It's always been used to store something else. For a couple of decades the "overflow" of my wife's card making kit.

P1040628.JPG

This battey clock in a real wood case I bought for a fiver around thirty years ago in the now long gone local Woolworths, is still going strong and complements the unit.

P1040626.JPG

So today apart from general cleaning I oiled the wood. I do this at least once a month. It gives it that "new" smell again.

Ask a Question