Young trees - culling fruit

Reaction score
Country
United States
General question. I have several young citrus trees that I'd like to become much larger over the years. Aside from proper pruning/fertilizing, etc, i'm also yanking off most of the fruit when i see it, so that the tree will put its energy into growing and not fruit production. (yet)

Questions though - is it better or worse to pluck of the flowers before they turn into fruit though? Or does it not even matter?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would rub off the buds. Anything you remove will be wasted energy. By removing the buds the tree puts the energy into something else other than growing flowers.

In some cases you might want to prune after flowering for thining and fruit set but for a young tree your are doing the right thing. I cant help my self and always try to grow 1 or 2 fruits on younger trees. Sometimes successful sometimes a waste of time. Going to see if my 1 year old Trilite and Nadia will give me a taste test this year. Looks like they will flower. Only a few fruits since they are still young. Besides the fruit is rather small.

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Grow as much fruit as you want. It won’t make any difference if you leave them or not. Just feed them well and enjoy. The only pruning you do to citrus is shaping, removing dead branches and any crossing branches. Simple care: feed, water, enjoy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Grow as much fruit as you want. It won’t make any difference if you leave them or not. Just feed them well and enjoy. The only pruning you do to citrus is shaping, removing dead branches and any crossing branches. Simple care: feed, water, enjoy.
Hey CPP, are you from cal poly pomona? (I'm a graduate!)

Never knew that about citrus, no pruning needed, huh?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would rub off the buds. Anything you remove will be wasted energy. By removing the buds the tree puts the energy into something else other than growing flowers.

In some cases you might want to prune after flowering for thining and fruit set but for a young tree your are doing the right thing. I cant help my self and always try to grow 1 or 2 fruits on younger trees. Sometimes successful sometimes a waste of time. Going to see if my 1 year old Trilite and Nadia will give me a taste test this year. Looks like they will flower. Only a few fruits since they are still young. Besides the fruit is rather small.

MOD
That's what my instinct says too... we'll see if CPP has an alternate idea!

Ask a Question