Young Pomegranate trees - please help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

My name is Donnie and I am new to the forum.

As the title suggests, I have 3 young pomegranate trees. They are about a year and a half old (from time of planting, they surprisingly sprouted after dormancy indoors and sprouted in February 2022)!

See attached photos (3 pomegranates are the tallest and in the worst shape, two other unidentified items have started growing in the pot within the last week or so).

I'm growing them in a large pot together. I live in Virginia, USA. Id been keeping them inside by a very well lit sliding glass door. I feared I may have killed them over the winter, but they came back at the start of early spring.

The trees are struggling. They are having a hard time maintaining color, keeping upright, etc. The pot has drainage holes but it don't drain well after watering. I'll let you know now that the soil isn't all that deep; a decent layer at is gummed up by pine straw and pine cones at the bottom which I thought would help with drainage, but apparently has not.

I took the young trees to a local feed and seed for advice. They told me to gradually introduce it to morning and evening light then let them stay outdoors. I've tried doing that, and they are worse now. When they get wet with light rain even, they keel over to what seems dangerous levels. Please, see my questions below:

1) can I replant them, and all in the same pot for now until they're a little bigger?
2) could the soil level not be deep enough?
3) could the current soil be bad and could bad drainage be causing my issues?
4) I left them direct sun on an 83-85 degree day for a few hours. This seems to have hurt them more. Could it have done so?
5) can I cut the tops off of these (prune) at their young age? They just won't stay upright!

What's the main culprit of their bad health? What should I do make them healthy again?... Any help appreciated. These are my first trees. Further, these seeds come from a century-old pomegranate tree at my late grandmother's former house that is no longer in the family name. I had been trying to plant seeds from the trees for years but was too busy. I want so badly to keep these trees healthy and alive. Please help out an amateur! Thanks.

-Donnie

Attachments

• 20230522_160637.jpg
    20230522_160637.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230522_160648.jpg
    20230522_160648.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230522_160658.jpg
    20230522_160658.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Repot each tree into its OWN container, NOW, before the roots become all intertwined. From what I can see of the little trees they are malnourished and need fertilization. Use a liquid organic fertilizer. When repotting fill the new containers to 2 inches from the top and DO NOT transplant the saplings too deep. If you have to get bamboo skewers or similar and prop up the saplings so as they don't fall over. Use a good (not miracle grow or scotts) potting soil to repot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Repot each tree into its OWN container, NOW, before the roots become all intertwined. From what I can see of the little trees they are malnourished and need fertilization. Use a liquid organic fertilizer. When repotting fill the new containers to 2 inches from the top and DO NOT transplant the saplings too deep. If you have to get bamboo skewers or similar and prop up the saplings so as they don't fall over. Use a good (not miracle grow or scotts) potting soil to repot.
Chuck,

Roger and all that makes sense to me. Thank you so much! I'll repost updates eventually, but I'm entirely grateful for this initial advice. I bought some supposedly higher quality soil from the local feed and seed already that supposedly drains well.

-Donnie

Reaction score
Country
United States
I replanted, hoping for the best. Two more questions:

1) So should I leave these out of direct, mild spring sunlight right now?
2) can I prune and cut some off the tops or are they too young? They seem so top heavy and are keel over... I'm using bamboo sticks with cordage to help but still. One has a very much twisty and turny stem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I replanted, hoping for the best. Two more questions:

1) So should I leave these out of direct, mild spring sunlight right now?
2) can I prune and cut some off the tops or are they too young? They seem so top heavy and are keel over... I'm using bamboo sticks with cordage to help but still. One has a very much twisty and turny stem
If you have been gradually adapting them to sunlight then leave them in full sun. DO NOT start cutting and pruning on them. That MIGHT be necessary 5 years down the road but not now. As long as you have them loosely tied so as not to be able to fall over, let them grow roots and soon you will be able to remove the supports. Do not forget to fertilize. Post more pics in a couple of weeks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update: my plants seem to be doing a little better, especially one of them. I'm leaving them outside but in shade.

One large pot has 2 trees, one medium pot has 1 tree. The tree by itself seems to be doing very well, lots of new growth from its bottom part. However, the other two seem go be getting slightly greener but not growing... in fact all, 3 trees' upper growth hasn't seemed to grow any. I think the day I left them out in the direct hot sun a little while ago for many hours fried the trees. See photos to see what I'm talking about.

NOTE - this phone has slightly greener shades than what they actually look like. It's only a slight difference but worth noting to get a better grasp on how healthy or not healthy the trees actually are.

With that, should I trim the tops of all 3 young trees?

20230619_145857.jpg
20230619_145910.jpg
20230619_145922.jpg
20230619_145927.jpg
20230619_145932.jpg

Attachments

• 20230619_145840.jpg
    20230619_145840.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Update: my plants seem to be doing a little better, especially one of them. I'm leaving them outside but in shade.

One large pot has 2 trees, one medium pot has 1 tree. The tree by itself seems to be doing very well, lots of new growth from its bottom part. However, the other two seem go be getting slightly greener but not growing... in fact all, 3 trees' upper growth hasn't seemed to grow any. I think the day I left them out in the direct hot sun a little while ago for many hours fried the trees. See photos to see what I'm talking about.

NOTE - this phone has slightly greener shades than what they actually look like. It's only a slight difference but worth noting to get a better grasp on how healthy or not healthy the trees actually are.

With that, should I trim the tops of all 3 young trees?

View attachment 97568View attachment 97569View attachment 97570View attachment 97571View attachment 97572
The color is not bad. What are you fertilizing with and how often? Why did you leave 2 trees in one pot? This is not good for trees when they get a little older. The trees have been in the shade for the past 3 weeks? Put them in full sun. The leaves that are browning are either staying too wet or there is a micro-nutrient deficiency. I can better advise after I learn what you are feeding them with and what soil you planted them in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The color is not bad. What are you fertilizing with and how often? Why did you leave 2 trees in one pot? This is not good for trees when they get a little older. The trees have been in the shade for the past 3 weeks? Put them in full sun. The leaves that are browning are either staying too wet or there is a micro-nutrient deficiency. I can better advise after I learn what you are feeding them with and what soil you planted them in.

I put 2 in one pot because I didn't buy enough soil. Shame on me for that one. I potted them in BACCTO LITE Premium Potting Soil and fertilized them once with a root stimulant about 3 weeks ago, recommended by a local feed and seed. Still not sure how much they should be watered... I'll just reiterate that growth is remarkable from the bottom on that one, but all 3: height is not growing at all from their initial growth from start of the year and nor after the one day I think I burned them back in April

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I put 2 in one pot because I didn't buy enough soil. Shame on me for that one. I potted them in BACCTO LITE Premium Potting Soil and fertilized them once with a root stimulant about 3 weeks ago, recommended by a local feed and seed. Still not sure how much they should be watered... I'll just reiterate that growth is remarkable from the bottom on that one, but all 3: height is not growing at all from their initial growth from start of the year and nor after the one day I think I burned them back in April
That stuff is NOT what you want. I looked that Baccto stuff up and it is basically peat moss with a little synthetic fertilizer added. A root stimulant is not fertilizer. It is a hormone with a few nutrients added. If they were my trees I would repot them now with a good potting mix such as Happy Frog Potting Soil. I would get a good liquid fertilizer such as Espoma Grow or Medina Hasta Grow. I would fertilize with this every two weeks. I would, for 1 (one) week, place the plants into full bright morning sun for 4 hours per day. After the week is up move them into full all day sun.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't let the water run out the bottom because you are washing your nutrient out and away. Water only until you see a tiny amount come out of the pot bottom they stop. Don't let the plant set in a drain tray of water.

Ask a Question