Pruning a young Jiro Persimmon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi all. I am new to fruit trees planting my first few this year :)
Got this Jiro persimmon bare-root last winter. It was a 14" tall single stem. I clipped the top inch where it branched in two branches. Now it's 3' tall.

I am planting it in the ground now and was considering pruning it at points A and B as shown in the photo so the buds below would hopefully shoot away from the center. I'm planting this in such a way that both branches would face south if that matters.
My questions are:
1) should I even prune it now? the longer branch just looks frail to me but I may be totally wrong.
2) If yes, are A & B good spots for pruning? I was especially doubtful about point A because if you look at my red arrow a few buds above A, it seems like the wood above the arrow is fresher and looks lighter. So, I was concerned that if I pruned at A, I'd be removing all that new wood and maybe the older darker wood would not grow?
3) Could I just prune it at A leaving the other branch to be a few inches longer or they should be pruned at the same level?

Thank you very much in advance for your guidance. Happy to answer any questions.
20230205_192109945_iOS.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

I'm not a tree expert but you are only supposed to only have one leader as you see on that site. It seems that you are growing two leaders. That being said, I have grafted another varitety on my apple tree so I am trying to grow two leaders but only because it is two varieties. My tree is still young so I don't know how it will work out, but if it were only one variety, I would only do one leader.

If you cut the leaders tip, it should cause the limb to start branching outwards. Your tree does look really long and thin for some reason.

It looks like new growth is upwards of the left big arrow in your pic. If the yearly new growth is out of range, then you probably used too much nitrogen, or too little. I thought I had a chart but this is all I can find in my notes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

I'm not a tree expert but you are only supposed to only have one leader as you see on that site. It seems that you are growing two leaders. That being said, I have grafted another varitety on my apple tree so I am trying to grow two leaders but only because it is two varieties. My tree is still young so I don't know how it will work out, but if it were only one variety, I would only do one leader.

If you cut the leaders tip, it should cause the limb to start branching outwards. Your tree does look really long and thin for some reason.

It looks like new growth is upwards of the left big arrow in your pic. If the yearly new growth is out of range, then you probably used too much nitrogen, or too little. I thought I had a chart but this is all I can find in my notes.
I appreciate your response. By cutting the tip of the main stem, I was trying to achieve a low vase shape rather than letting the tree go vertically as I have limited space in my backyard and want the fruits to be within my reach. This seems to have worked nicely with my other fruit trees (mainly stone fruit) but this persimmon's two branches turned out to be frail and thin. So, I don't know if I should leave them alone or prune them in hope that doing so causes stronger branches to develop. I don't think I can now cut one of the two branches to get a leader branch because that would leave me with a very side-leaning tree.

Anyone else has any advice for me?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Stake it so the trunk is upright and cut it at 4' above the graft. This will stimulate branching for low scaffold branches. It's thin because it's young. It will thicken up as it grows.

Ask a Question