Help with one of the branches of a young cherry tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I transplanted this cherry tree to ground from a pot in February. It's its 2nd or 3rd spring. All was good until 7-8 days ago when the leaves on one of the branches started wilting. I'm also including a close up of the branch collar if it matters. I did not deep water this for about a month until last week but we did get plenty of rain.
Any advice would be highly appreciated as I worry this will spread to the whole tree.

20230410_200645009_iOS.jpg

20230410_203010000_iOS.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That looks like root damage to me but could you send a close up picture of the affected limb and the leaves?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That looks like root damage to me but could you send a close up picture of the affected limb and the leaves?
Thanks for the response. Here are a few more pics.
I tried to be careful with the roots while transplanting. I think I took the tree out of the pot with at least a 1-foot radius of the pot soil intact around the roots. But a couple of weeks ago, a squirrel dug a hole about 2 inches deep right by the trunk. That's when I added the poultry netting. Could that be enough to cause root damage?
What are some things I can try?

20230410_222655879_iOS.jpg

20230410_222700581_iOS.jpg

20230410_222705574_iOS.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the response. Here are a few more pics.
I tried to be careful with the roots while transplanting. I think I took the tree out of the pot with at least a 1-foot radius of the pot soil intact around the roots. But a couple of weeks ago, a squirrel dug a hole about 2 inches deep right by the trunk. That's when I added the poultry netting. Could that be enough to cause root damage?
What are some things I can try?

View attachment 95362

View attachment 95363
View attachment 95364
I have to say root damage and I only know of two things that can cause this on only one side of a tree. The first is actual physical damage to the roots and the second is soil compaction on part of the root ball reducing the oxygen supply. I know of only one way of adding oxygen to a root ball and not risk damaging it further and that is to drench the root ball with 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water. I would also still use the SuperThrive. The squirrel could have caused the damage if he actually chewed into the root feeding the affected limb.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have to say root damage and I only know of two things that can cause this on only one side of a tree. The first is actual physical damage to the roots and the second is soil compaction on part of the root ball reducing the oxygen supply. I know of only one way of adding oxygen to a root ball and not risk damaging it further and that is to drench the root ball with 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water. I would also still use the SuperThrive. The squirrel could have caused the damage if he actually chewed into the root feeding the affected limb.
I see. I will try the hydrogen peroxide solution. Thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Chuck I think I can see scale insects in the first pictures, could you have another look?

Isopropyl rubbing alcohol will get rid if that IS scale. I can see a white covering on top of the 'good' branch too - could that be a sign of scale and/or mould?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck I think I can see scale insects in the first pictures, could you have another look?

Isopropyl rubbing alcohol will get rid if that IS scale. I can see a white covering on top of the 'good' branch too - could that be a sign of scale and/or mould?
I thought the same thing and that is why I asked for the picture of the other limb. No sign of scale on that limb. It may have scale but that would not cause one half of the tree to be desiccating and the other half thriving. That white stuff on the bad limb is suspicious. I would spray that with Neem

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@SfromKY this is scale View attachment 95370 can you see anything like this on your tree?
Are the white areas insects or fungi in your photo? I closely inspected the wood and leaves of the tree and while there are white spots somewhat similar to your photo, I am positive that they are not insects. I scrubbed some off with my nail to make sure. I may be wrong but they look like a natural part of the bark and they are in all places, the affected limb, the healthy one, and all on the trunk. The only insects I could see were ants. There were more of them last week but now only a handful (shown in the first pic below)

20230411_211210267_iOS.jpg

20230411_211246105_iOS.jpg

20230411_211300010_iOS.jpg

20230411_211324627_iOS.jpg

20230411_211834110_iOS.jpg

Attachments

• 20230411_211210267_iOS.jpg
    20230411_211210267_iOS.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ants are attracted by honeydew which some scale insects leave for them. @Chuck 's magic neem oil is wonderful stuff as Zigs and I have both found out. Let's hope it has solved the problems for you.
I would say that Chuck's expertise tops mine any day actually. :)

Ask a Question