Need a little help with a Pear tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in SE Georgia, and my pear tree is finally coming alive after losing all its leaves during the winter. But, I'm seeing the leaves curl, and turn black and crispy along the sides. Please see photos.
This is in a 15 gl nursery bucket in which it came. Am hoping to nip this now before I get more foliage and the problem gets worse.

Thank you.

20230331_095036.jpg
20230331_140946.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This could be one of many problems. How much water does it get? Can you see any aphids on it?
It could have powdery mildew, especially if you are having lots of dry weather. The ginger coloured spots may well be rust. Looking carefully (with my glasses on) I think I can see little white blobs on the branches - are these whiteflies or woolly aphids?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This could be one of many problems. How much water does it get? Can you see any aphids on it?
It could have powdery mildew, especially if you are having lots of dry weather. The ginger coloured spots may well be rust. Looking carefully (with my glasses on) I think I can see little white blobs on the branches - are these whiteflies or woolly aphids?
Thanks very much for the reply. I water it about every 3-4 days, depending on what my trusty Ferry Morse water meter says. I don't see signs of powdery mildew, whiteflies, or woolly aphids on the leaves or branches, and if the ginger colored spots on the leaves is rust, I can't imagine how it got there. We have had a wide variation in temps here in SE Georgia, and the tree is just now getting new foliage after the winter. We spoke with a local nursery and they suggested it could be due to the varied temps and to leave it alone for now, and watch for new growth, and similar symptoms. Sounds risky to me..., but I'm not a doctor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Under the circumstances then, I reckon the suggestion from the local nursery might well be your best bet. It is possible that damage to the old foliage might not necessarily occur on the new leaves. I hope for the best for you. Fingers crossed!
PS Do you have sandy soil there?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, pretty sandy soil here. Will keep an eye on it, and see what happens. Worse comes to worse I may have to buy my pears at the store again. They tend to gas the fruit and veggies around here tho' to speed up the ripening process. Don't taste the same.

Thanks again, and hope the best for you across the pond as well.

Cheerio! : )

Ask a Question