Just germinated indoors with dome but need to leave for 1 week

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I have just germinated vegetable seeds in a peat pellet and dome environment. The dome is off with plenty of light on then from grow lights. If I leave should I put them all back in the dome environment with the grow lights on them so I don’t have to worry about watering them or should I keep the dome off with the same grow lights on them and figure out a way to automatically water them while I’m away. The only have the 1st set of leaves (tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you will only be gone a week I would saturate them, put the lid back on, turn off the heat mat and set the timer for the lights and lock the doors.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Lol, will definitely lock the doors. Thanks for your quick reply! Hopefully enough light gets through that plastic dome and know mold issues etc. I really only need 10% of them to be healthy plants to take care of for next 6-8 weeks indoors so I think I’d have time to recover once I’m back!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lol, will definitely lock the doors. Thanks for your quick reply! Hopefully enough light gets through that plastic dome and know mold issues etc. I really only need 10% of them to be healthy plants to take care of for next 6-8 weeks indoors so I think I’d have time to recover once I’m back!
If you are really worried about mold sprinkle them all with either cinnamon or horticultural cornmeal or both

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Awesome. Thanks for humoring my novice project!
Cinnamon has great antifungal properties and whole ground horticultural cornmeal is the favorite growing medium of Trichoderma fungus, a fungus that literally eats harmful fungi. About the only harmful mold/mildew/fungus you will have with young seedlings is damping off fungus and this will take care of it in most circumstances.

Ask a Question