Newly Germinated Seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
These are my newly germinated heirloom tomatoes and purple bell peppers. I placed them in a south facing window today. Is there anything else that I should be doing to them now? What other tips and tricks that I should know about?

image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
These are my newly germinated heirloom tomatoes and purple bell peppers. I placed them in a south facing window today. Is there anything else that I should be doing to them now? What other tips and tricks that I should know about?

View attachment 8374 View attachment 8375
If it were me I would take them outside into the morning sun and move them back indoors to your window in the heat of the day. Also, although not positive, it looks like in the pic that your tomatoes, or at least one of them has damping off. See how that seedling in the center is very thin at the base? What I would do is sprinkle either whole ground cornmeal or cinnamon on top of the soil in order to stop the damping off fungus. And do not water from the top, only from the bottom

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Give them as much light as possible, but don't burn them with Sun particularly in Florida.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
@Chuck I put some ground cinnamon on top of the soil. The top cup has 2 holes at the bottom, and the second cup has water; so it's being watered from the bottom. As far as moving them outside, I can put them in from of my house (facing east) where they'll get some morning sun. However, I am at work all day, so I won't be able to move them inside. The heat is extreme, but I am hoping that they'll survive the heat.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck I put some ground cinnamon on top of the soil. The top cup has 2 holes at the bottom, and the second cup has water; so it's being watered from the bottom. As far as moving them outside, I can put them in from of my house (facing east) where they'll get some morning sun. However, I am at work all day, so I won't be able to move them inside. The heat is extreme, but I am hoping that they'll survive the heat.
As hot as it has been I am afraid they won't survive the afternoon sun as young as they are. Is there some place that gets morning sun and shade or partial shade in the afternoons? I am not worried about the heat as much as the intense sun. And you will probably have to water every other day too. Once they get a couple of sets of true leaves it won't be so important

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
@Chuck As far as moving them outside, I can put them in from of my house (facing east) where they'll get some morning sun. However, I am at work all day, so I won't be able to move them inside.
That's the best you can do.
Put them there with a large bucket of water.
My old engineering training tells me that evaporation from the bucket will cool the air ever so slightly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
@ferice, your seed bed in the pot looks crowded. It would be difficult to segregate the seedlings, I mean the roots of the other seedling may be affected when you pull out the seedlings. When we have seedlings, the first step is to prepare the destination planting area. Next is to pull out the seedling and directly plant it in the destination. Do that one by one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
They have grown 'leggy' through lack of light. When you pot them on plant the stem low in the soil so that the first leaves are almost touching it. They will eventually produce more roots from the stem and make sturdier plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I haven't try growing seeds in containers but just planted the seeds straight into the ground. My house, very strangely situated, doesn't get much sun light in, so that is why I can't plant seeds inside. Plus, since I live in Michigan, our summer is too short for me to go through the process.

I think yours look great though!

Ask a Question