They Germinated, But Stuck After That Stage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I built my first garden... it's a raised bed... I'm in zone 6b I guess.. Ohio near lake... I planted last week... Perpetual SPinach, Dino Kale, Egyptian SPinach and Malabar.

I'm doing the "wood chip" thing. My bed is 4'x10'x20".

Here's what I filled it with... which may have been problematic.

The bottom half is all wood chips... what the landscaping company I purchased them from, calls "Unscreened Woodchips." Basically what tree companies put in a wood chipper. That' the bottom half, and also the top 2". In between, I had purchased a yard or so of the companies "Planting Bed Mix."... I think it was called... supposed to be some mix of like, top soil, and "humus," and some other stuff... I'd have to check the details.

I moved the mulch on top aside, and direct sowed the above plants. They all germinated, but for the past 3 or 4 days nothing... They're stuck at that stage. I figured, and read, that perhaps the exposed soil is getting too hot in the sun, so I moved the mulch up close to cover the dirt around them. I expected to have to do that anyhow, but expected they;d be taller before that step.

Im watering them each day but, not sure how to measure it... I was also thinking I did NOT water enough, so I water at like 6am, then again at like 4-5pm.

Now I think, since the mulch really keeps water in the dirt, that I may have over watered.

I am bummed. I realize I jumped in very quick to this activity. I basically decide 3weeks ago I was gonna just go for it... I knew for over the past 12months that moving towards a homestead situation was going to be the smart thing to do in this poisonous world... and then 2020 happened.

Any thoughts? THank you sooo much. at least I'm about to learn a lot from what I did wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I will say this... I just ordered Mell Bartholomew's book... so...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wood chips such as you described should ONLY be used on the top of the soil as mulch. Wood chips such as this depletes nitrogen in the soil as it decomposes. When on the surface it gasses off into the atmosphere. It is normal for freshly sprouted seedlings to remain as freshly sprouted for up to a week before you can see much growth. Then the growth will be to get taller. Don't worry about your seedlings, worry about all those wood chips. Don't water as to keep the soil wet. You want the soil to be slightly damp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you so much... yeah I am aware of the nitrogen depletion under the soil, but had heard that if its low enough it will be ok, but... i dont kno. Thank you again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you so much... yeah I am aware of the nitrogen depletion under the soil, but had heard that if its low enough it will be ok, but... i dont kno. Thank you again
It won't hurt your seedlings but when they are established you will have to add more than the normal amount of fertilizer

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. Chuck is right. Add liquid feed and that's why hydroponics is possible. The uptake of liquid feed is much faster than solid feed. Of course, there are minerals that hydrogenics might not be able to provide. if you feed them with seaweed extracts, epsom salt or tomatoes feed, they should be alright. But a slow release general fertiliser might help, too.

Perhaps, slap some garden soil, leaf mould, horse manure to prepare your bed in the fall might help.

Also, compost your woodchips a bit rather than using them outright.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was wondering.... still having the same issue btw... Like I mentioned, under the 8inches of soil, I have the wood chips... I was doing the hugelkultur thing by placing the chips at bottom.

1) With the hugelkultur, I wonder if that layer is supposed to be setup months before planting... would that be more likely?... as opposed to just planting on it right away?...

2) Could the bottom layer of chips be leaching nitrogen already within 2 weeks?.. I assumed something like that would take longer to affect the soil above.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You know what... I was just gonna tear it up and turn the bed into compost for next season... BUT, Im gonna try using urine. 1:7 parts urine/water, and see what happens... I have some pots going so hopefully those will provide some food.

Ask a Question