Spring Garden Update + Germinated Seeds but not Sprouting

Do you worry about seeds sprouting sporadically?

• Yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We had some pretty nice weather at the end of February (80's), until it went back down into the 50's and 60's and our plants stopped growing. Fast forward to the end of April-Now and we had about 3-4 weeks of upper 80's. Our garden was doing excellent! We fertilized with some organic fertilizer and I ordered some more seeds (April 10th I believe) online from a reputable dealer. I got purple bush beans, provider green beans, Persian cucumbers, seedless watermelon, pollinator watermelons, purple carrots, chantenay carrots, acorn squash, and asparagus beans. Germinated all of them inside first, and went into the ground.

There have only been a few seeds that have not popped up after germinating them. I sowed the purple tomato seeds, acorn squash, butternut squash, Persian cucumbers, and purple carrot seeds about 2.5 weeks ago. No tomatoes sprouted in the 80 degree days, nor the cucumbers or squashes. The purple carrots came up very sporadic and patchy, while the other carrot seedlings came up just fine.

I am thinking I kept the tomato seedlings too wet, I had them started in 4"x6" deep cups and covered in plastic wrap and I took them in at night so they never were in under 70 degrees. Same with the squashes. I will try again this weekend with some more seeds, and hopefully not rot them in the moisture!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Yes excessive moisture for seeds pre, during and post germination can be a problem. I lost 144 (2 trays) of seeds due to excessive moisture. I thought the trays I was using with my liners had the holes for drainage but they did not. Just about a 1/4" of standing water in the tray and everything failed for the most part.

What plants were you starting indoors (besides the tomatoes) and what plants were started outdoors?

Ask a Question