Newly Germinated Seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have some newly germinated seeds that I planted last week. After how many days should I move them outside for some morning sun. I moved one container out 2 days ago, and the sprouts flatten out and died. Now, I am afraid to take the new one out so soon. See pics.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have some newly germinated seeds that I planted last week. After how many days should I move them outside for some morning sun. I moved one container out 2 days ago, and the sprouts flatten out and died. Now, I am afraid to take the new one out so soon. See pics.

View attachment 8697 View attachment 8698
What do you mean by flattening out? Did you mix in the cornmeal? Morning sun will not hurt them. They need the sunlight to grow. Was the top 2 inches of the soil damp. If seedlings dry out they will immediately die

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
@Chuck, The bottom of the stem flatten out and the plants fall fall in the soil and died. For these plants, I used ground cinnamon on them. The seeds that I used cornmeal on never germinated. I purchased a much diner cornmeal this weekend, and I will give it a try again. Also, I placed them in a container full of water outside. Each cup has a hole at the bottom, it sucked the water in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck, The bottom of the stem flatten out and the plants fall fall in the soil and died. For these plants, I used ground cinnamon on them. The seeds that I used cornmeal on never germinated. I purchased a much diner cornmeal this weekend, and I will give it a try again. Also, I placed them in a container full of water outside. Each cup has a hole at the bottom, it sucked the water in.
They were killed by damping off fungus. Cinnamon works best on older seedlings. the one's with true leaves. There is only one kind of cornmeal that will work and that is the kind that is not enriched. If it says enriched anywhere on the package it will not work. Cornmeal has nothing to do with germinating seeds.

Here is a fool proof way to germinate seeds. Mix the horticultural cornmeal into the potting soil at the rate of about 15%. Immediately before planting the seeds thoroughly saturate the soil. Put the pot into water until it shows water standing in the soil. Drain off the excess water for a minute or two and then place the seeds on top of the now saturated soil. Sprinkle DRY soil over the seeds to a depth of about 1/4 inch and pat down to make sure the seeds make good soil contact. Sprinkle more cornmeal on the surface. Place saran wrap over the top of the pots to make like a terrarium so the water will not evaporate/ As soon as the seeds sprout and their little leaves open fully, remove the saran wrap. You will not have to water the seeds before they sprout nor will they need sunlight but as soon as they open up their little leaves they will need sun.

Using those 6oz drinking cups are not the best thing to use when starting seedlings. They are too big. They can be dry on top and soaking wet in the middle and the roots of a seedling are not deep and can dry and die quite easily, especially in the heat in Florida. They sell pudding at the grocery store that comes in a 4 pack, A 4 pack costs a dollar and the containers are little plastic things that are perfect for seedlings, plus the pudding is pretty good too. Just drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Pardon me but I seem not to find what kind of plant are the sprouts. They look like melon to me. However, I would suggest that you place it in a shaded area but not too shaded. Like under the banana plant but not under the mango tree because the sunlight will be totally blocked. when the 4th leaf comes out, that's the time to prepare the planting area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Ok, I will give then another week or so. Also, you were right @Chuck the cup were dried on top which was the reason why the germinated seeds were dying. I placed them in a container of water, and my herbs look pretty good so far.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I will water them every morning before I leave for work. I am determined to get some fresh tomatoes from my plants this year. That is my goal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
The brown larvae look like cutworm and the white larvae, vine weevil. If they are vine weevil then they need to be destroyed as they will damage roots of many plants. I'm not sure how much damage the other larvae will do. Check any pots you have seedlings and other plants in.

Ask a Question