Would you eat these potatoes ?

Reaction score
Best thing to do is get the water boiling, then dig them up and serve with mint and butter, taste lovely then :)

Even better when lightly brushed with olive oil and roasted in the oven and then served with a heavy sprinkling of either Italian Parsley, Chives or Mint :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Got no oven now :(

Have to be the one ring gas cooker, but got plenty of Chives :)

Reaction score
I think the blue in the potatoes is much more attractive in chip form. I started eating them when terra chips started making chips out of everything. After eating them as chips having them mashed doesn't raise any eyebrows in this house.

I went to the store last week to get seed potatoes. Very disappointed. I got some yukon gold. The other option was red. I hate to go to a different store but just may need to. Or I'll break down and get some plain old reds.

Waiting for them to find an old purple potato. I'll eat or wear anything that is purple.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would eat those potatoes if they tasted good! They are a fun color and have the 4th of July written all over them! I would make some yummy festive treat with them and serve them as a fun dish at a party.

Reaction score
I love the purple color, but I wouldn't like to eat that so much! It would be hard to get used to purple mashed potatoes! Lol, wonder if it would taste any different. Rainbow vegetables never cease to amaze me.

Reaction score
I grow and buy purple potatoes when ever I see them because I like them, they are purple. They really don't taste any different. And I didn't have any problems eating them the first time, nothing to get over. But then I will try just about anything once.

Reaction score
I am a little bit confused. Are these blue potatoes a type of sweet potato? I have eaten sweet potatoes that were deep purple in colour, marvelling at the exceptionally sweet taste. But I don't know if these pictured potatoes here are a totally different vegetable.

Reaction score
I am a little bit confused. Are these blue potatoes a type of sweet potato? I have eaten sweet potatoes that were deep purple in colour, marvelling at the exceptionally sweet taste. But I don't know if these pictured potatoes here are a totally different vegetable.

No these blue potatoes are not a type of sweet potato - but a blue variety of the normal regular potato that we all know - which although they taste exactly the same as ordinary potatoes - because of their natural blue color have a higher nutritional value than ordinary potatoes :)

Reaction score
I eat blue French Beans and Purple Cabbage, so they might be camoflaged with those :LOL:

Are those blue French beans naturally blue? I have never seen such a thing, but I don't live in a place where you can easily see purple or blue veggies or fruits

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, growing some at the moment :)

Will grab a pick when they fruit :)

Reaction score
A long time ago when I was like 13 and I was in summer school we grew purple potatoes, I was a little skeptical at first about eating them, but they honestly taste like any other potatoes. I do understand why people might shy away from the color though, sometimes you just have to take that unexpected leap!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I just harvested my first ever crop of potatoes. I had some new potatoes in the kitchen that has sprouted so I decided to give growing them a try. I started them kind of late, and I grew them in a little laundry basket from the dollar store, but my experiment was successful so now I am ready for other varieties.

Reaction score
I just harvested my first ever crop of potatoes. I had some new potatoes in the kitchen that has sprouted so I decided to give growing them a try. I started them kind of late, and I grew them in a little laundry basket from the dollar store, but my experiment was successful so now I am ready for other varieties.

Oh how I can imagine how pleased you must be feeling - not only with your first ever potato harvest - but also because your experiment worked - especially as its always so rewarding when experiments actually do work the way we want them to.

I am however a little confused :confused: particularly as you didn't say whether or not your first ever potatoes are the blue variety - so as you posted the results of your experiment here - am wondering does that mean that - it is actually blue potatoes that you have grown - in which case I have to say that if it was me - I would be more than excited at the fact that my experiment had worked or is that you now plan to grow blue potatoes ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
New potatoes are red, @gata montes. I guess you thought I meant new as in brand new. I'm not sure if I will try to grow blue ones, but I am going to try other types of potatoes when I plant the red skinned new potatoes again in the fall. I want to plant sweet potatoes for sure and some kind of "every day" variety such as yukon gold. I would have to see what was available in blue or purple and then see how well they would grow here.

Ask a Question