Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
DSCF0003.JPG

Curry :D

Reaction score
Cheerio said (quote) - These are the black Brandywine tomatoes. There are also pink Brandywines. These happen to be pretty good looking. I've seen some pretty gnarly looking ones. :D
http://www.guntersgreenhouse.com/plantinfo/plant_information_tomato_brandywineblack.htm
Like this one. (Second photo down.
http://joyfullyretired.com/2012/07/29/whats-new-in-my-world-4/[/quote]

From your description, was expecting to see some butt ugly tomatoes, but have to agree, that, although I've never been able to describe a tomato as being pretty, these ones even though they are rather odd shape-wise, actually look very attractive :D
Was also surprised by the color, think perhaps I was expecting them to be more black than they actually are. :)
Can see why they are called ' Brandywine ' now, as they are more purple than black.
In fact according to a lot of the new seed catalogs, growing purple tomatoes next year, is a must for all fashion conscious gardeners :D

It's the heat that destroys the masking pigment, same with some brown seaweeds that go green when you cook them.
Nothing happens, just makes lunch look like an explosion in a paint factory :D

:LOL: Sounds horribly messy :eek: so disappointed that those blue beans change color when cooked :(

:oops: nearly forgot - Cheerio as you didn't experience any unusual effects on eating blue potatoes, you have confirmed my suspicions that, where they mention ' blue potatoes can create a psychedelic effect ' in the advertisement , must definitely have been, one of those translation software hiccups and that blue potatoes are not, the next best thing to magic mushrooms. :D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Leaving aside the fact that I will eat just about anything, those look delicious to me :)

I have seen blue potatoes in chip form, in those Terra vegetable chip bags, but I didn't realize they were any healthier than regular old potatoes. Good to know.

Reaction score
(y) Mmm. Curry is delicious. It looks like there is enough on that plate to share! It is getting to be that time of year when I really like spicy dishes the most.

I have to say, it wouldn't be quite as appealing to look at if it had purple bits in the mix. :cautious:

Reaction score
I would eat blue potatoes, I would love to make mash potatoes with them. I like introducing interesting veggies to my kids. I think they would make an excellent conversation starter for dinner guest too.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I would eat blue potatoes, I would love to make mash potatoes with them. I like introducing interesting veggies to my kids. I think they would make an excellent conversation starter for dinner guest too.

Try red cabbage with the kids, when its cooked, if you put vinegar on it, it changes colour. Willow loves it and calls it magic cabbage :D

Reaction score
Oh that is cool zigs, I love botany so much. I've grew beans that were purple, but when I cooked them they turned green. It hurt my feelings :cry: because I thought I was making a confetti dinner, and it ended up looking like plain old string beans. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If you pick them really young you could serve them raw, they'd still be purple then :D

Reaction score
Try red cabbage with the kids, when its cooked, if you put vinegar on it, it changes colour. Willow loves it and calls it magic cabbage :D

I did not know that red cabbage changes color if you put vinegar on It. I am going to have to try that out because I love cabbage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Those blue potatoes are gorgeous. And the chips look good too. I'm not so keen on the look of that mash though.

As long as they're natural and not genetically modified, I'd love to try some of the more colourful veggies. The downside of living in South Africa is that none of them seem to be available here. I didn't even know about the strange colours carrots came in until I saw pictures online recently. A couple of weeks ago I finally saw some in the supermarket but they were such miserable looking specimens that I couldn't bring myself to buy them.

Reaction score
One of my kids' favorite things about my garden is flipping through the Baker Creek catalog in January and picking out "weird" things to grow, like blue potatoes and purple cauliflower and orange tomatoes and white pumpkins. This year we put in two pink blueberry bushes. So yes, I would and have happily eaten blue potatoes and probably will again when my youngest decides she wants to try them. I didn't find the taste to be any different from normal potatoes and the yield wasn't as good as my tried and true yellow finn but my gardens are as much for the kids as for myself so I'm happy to plant a few unusual plants to keep them engaged.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had never heard of purple potatoes until I saw them on a Dr. Oz show where he was talking about how the purple potato is better for you than the traditional white potato. If I have seen them in the grocery store I did not know what I was looking at. Now I will have to go looking for them.

The people that got to sample the purple potatoes on the Dr. Oz show stated they were good.

Ask a Question