Would you eat these potatoes ?

Reaction score
Would you eat these blue potatoes ?

Blue Potato.jpg

These unadulterated naturally blue potatoes come in various shades of blue to purple, with over 20 different varieties to choose from.

Smurf Potato PLanting.jpg

Blue potatoes have been around for thousands of years and originate from South America. They were introduced into North America in the late 70s, probably by the Smurfs :D and have been gaining popularity ever since.

smurfs'-village-top-10-iphone-1.jpg

Could you be tempted by some ' Smurf Mash '

Smurf Mash.jpg

or perhaps you would find some ' Smurf Crisps' more appealing :D

Blue crisps.jpg

In 2003 it was found that blue potatoes, have a much higher antioxidant content than regular potatoes, and we are now being encouraged to eat more of them, with advertisements that read as follows :-

" Blue potatoes are high in nutrients, aesthetically pleasing and alluring. Blue potatoes can create a psychedelic experience and give life to a mundane dish "

Much as I like the color blue, I can find nothing alluring about the meals these blue potatoes would make, but maybe thats because I haven't experienced the psychedelic effect :D

Will you be rushing out to buy some of these alluring potatoes for your supper tonight ?

They are available from all good garden suppliers, should you be wishing to grow your own next year.

Reaction score
About a year ago I read about the healthy benefits of blue potatoes. As I recall there was something in them that would have been very good for my Mom, who was under my care and in need of a boost in her nutrition. I never was able to find them, though, and gave up trying. I guess I didn't realize that they are blue all the way through! That first photo is a little startling! I have to admit that, even with all the "new" foods on our market here in the US, I still tend to eat the same types of things I always have. I've made changes by eliminating some things that are less healthy for me, and I've added a few things, but my base is still similar to what it always was.

LOVE the Smurf reference, gata montes!

Reaction score
I would totally eat blue potatoes. I'm sure they still taste fine, despite the color. The Smurf mash and Smurf chips look pretty good.

Reaction score
I have eaten blue potatoes! I was actually disappointed that the only thing that was really different about them is the color. They pretty much taste the same as an ordinary potato. I love the way the crispy chips look. Fancy. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I eat blue French Beans and Purple Cabbage, so they might be camoflaged with those :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is so interesting, I haven't seen any blue potatoes before, it's the first time when I hear about them.
But they remind me of beet and I hate beet, hate it with all my heart:eek:
I must admit that ' Smurf Crisps' look delicious though and I would eat them without hesitation:D

Reaction score
Blue French beans? I haven't heard of those. Do they taste any different? I've had what was supposedly a "purple" bell pepper, but it looked more brown to me and tasted like an ordinary bell pepper. :D

We can make a vegetable medley with blue potatoes, blue French beans, purple onions, purple peppers, and purple cabbage.

You know, Boo Berry cereal was taken off the market in the 70s because parents complained it was turning their children's poo blue.:confused: Perhaps this may have the same effect. Um.... nah! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love potatoes! I was at a dinner party several months ago where there were fingerling potatoes of different varieties and I tried these. They didn't taste all that different to me. It was a fondue party so I think the potatoes had simply just been boiled so that you could dip them in the broth or the cheese.

Reaction score
I have eaten blue potatoes! I was actually disappointed that the only thing that was really different about them is the color. They pretty much taste the same as an ordinary potato. I love the way the crispy chips look. Fancy. :)

As you've eaten blue potatoes, Cheerio. :cool: I'm curious, did you experience the psychedelic effect, that is described, in the advertising slogans, as being one of the benefits of eating blue potatoes :D

I too have eaten many colors of fruit and vegetables, and also, find they taste just the same as what we call 'regular'
fruit and veg. Grew a mix of colored peppers a few years ago, which included chocolate and purple colored ones, but my purples were more like fluorescent lilac, which was a bit shocking :D

Zigs and Cheerio

Haven't heard of blue french beans either, shouldn't surprise me though, particularly now that you can get black tomatoes, which were bred especially for the Goths :)

What was a originally a plain and simple meal Zigs :D It now seems to be turning into a very large and varied vegetable melody, what with Cheerios ingredients, combined with some fluorescent lilac peppers, purple carrots and purple sprouts, topped with Goth tomatoes, A vegetarian feast, almost.

Good thing that Boo Berry Cereal has been taken off the market, as all comments on this topic, may well have to be :censored: :LOL:

Reaction score
I didn't know there was such a thing as blue potatoes. I would try them out to see if I like them but I would probably stick with the other potatoes. I love eating potatoes a lot and the blue crisps did look goid. I will have to see if our stores carry them if not I guess it will be just the simple potatoes.

Reaction score
gata montes - No unusual effects from the blue potatoes, psychedelic or otherwise. I haven't heard any of those claims. :geek:

I have had what they call a "black" tomato. It was okay. The one I had wasn't impressive. It seemed a bit too juicy and seedy. The heirloom Brandywine tomatoes grown around here are an ugly tomato with mottled red and blackish skin, but they are very flavorful.

I love all the new colors of vegetables but it always worries me because I want to make sure I am not buying anything genetically modified. I like to buy the heirloom vegetables that were grown the way nature intended. Unfortunately, with October only days away, we're going to be back to mass produced grocery store purchasing.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, missed half of this one.

Blue french beans don't taste any different & they change to green when cooked, the pigment is only masking the chlorophyl.

The real benefit is picking, so much easier to see the beans than green ones hiding in the green foliage.

You should see it when I cook with Rainbow Chard as well :D

Reaction score
gata montes - No unusual effects from the blue potatoes, psychedelic or otherwise. I haven't heard any of those claims. :geek:

I have had what they call a "black" tomato. It was okay. The one I had wasn't impressive. It seemed a bit too juicy and seedy. The heirloom Brandywine tomatoes grown around here are an ugly tomato with mottled red and blackish skin, but they are very flavorful.

I love all the new colors of vegetables but it always worries me because I want to make sure I am not buying anything genetically modified. I like to buy the heirloom vegetables that were grown the way nature intended. Unfortunately, with October only days away, we're going to be back to mass produced grocery store purchasing.

Like you, I love all the new colored varieties of fruit and vegetables, have grown quite a few and they are great fun, both in the kitchen and the vegetable garden, and also only grow the unadulterated varieties, that I know have not been GM modified. :)

That 'Brandywine' tomato sounds downright ugly to me, what with mottled red and blackish skin, but at least its got an appealing name and is tasty. That 'black' tomato sounds like it would impress the 'Goths', with all that black juice coming out of it. :D Out of curiosity, can a tomato ever be too juicy ?

Yes the changeover from home produced to store bought is always unpleasant, store bought fruit and vegetables don't seem to come close to resembling ,anything that has been home grown

Reaction score
Sorry, missed half of this one.

Blue french beans don't taste any different & they change to green when cooked, the pigment is only masking the chlorophyl.

The real benefit is picking, so much easier to see the beans than green ones hiding in the green foliage.

You should see it when I cook with Rainbow Chard as well :D

Sounds like a :sneaky: bean to me, as it could come as quite a shock, if you'd bought blue beans for a specific meal and they turned green when cooked.
If cooking them makes them change their color back to green- what happens, when it rains ?

I can see there would be benefit in the harvesting of the beans, providing your are not color blind :)

You've got my curiosity on that one- What does happen when you cook Rainbow Chard ?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's the heat that destroys the masking pigment, same with some brown seaweeds that go green when you cook them.

Nothing happens, just makes lunch look like an explosion in a paint factory :D
DSCF0002.JPG

Ask a Question