Winter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Exactly! I hate snow, sometimes I dream about moving to a place where plants grow all year round. Does it get very cold there were you live?
Yesterday, it was 16 degree Celsius in my city, so I spent most of the day outside:)

I share that dream! We've had quite sporadic weather these past few years...it will go from being very cold to being warm and right back in the course of a few days. Later into the winter, we can get well below 0 sometimes with windchill and everything. Though honestly, anything below about 16 Celsius or so is colder than I want it ;).

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in South central Texas and we have (supposedly) a 365 day growing season. I usually skip a summer garden because it is too hot and dry.

Well that's understandable, too. I hadn't considered the Summer conditions being less than ideal :/.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Some things grow well over winter, unless it freezes. I seem to be doing better now for salad leaves than I did in the Summer, apart from the ones in the cold frame that got stripped by caterpilars.

Still burning prunings when the wind is in the right direction, after that there'll be winter digging and fertilising.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I share that dream! We've had quite sporadic weather these past few years...it will go from being very cold to being warm and right back in the course of a few days. Later into the winter, we can get well below 0 sometimes with windchill and everything. Though honestly, anything below about 16 Celsius or so is colder than I want it ;).
Haha, same here:D I'm one of those people who are always cold and can't stand temperatures below 15 Celsius.
Two years ago the winter here was especially cold, during some nights it was -20 C!:eek: I hated it.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We harvest ours completely then when it gets very cold and the plants start to die then we pull out and dispose of the plants. Then in the spring we till our garden and begin again! What fun!

Reaction score
Country
United States
We harvest ours completely then when it gets very cold and the plants start to die then we pull out and dispose of the plants. Then in the spring we till our garden and begin again! What fun!

Alright, so pretty much what I had in mind then...just wondered if people tended to do it that way or if there were some Winter secrets I was missing out on ;). What fun indeed.

Bee

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
Yes winter doesn't phase me since I live where it is warm all year round but when I visiting family in the midwest I make sure I utilize my indoor growing techniques and ideas.There are TONS of ways to grow indoors and really enjoy it.

Ask a Question