Will Roots Use the Full Depth of a Deep Container?

Reaction score
Country
United States
First post! I’m in South Carolina at the edge of zone 8a/b. I have some smaller zone 9-10 plants around the pool in containers that will come into a well insulated garage to overwinter. They include heliconia, curcuma, and bird of paradise.

When it cools down I plan on making several large planters from concrete (outer dimensions 24”x24”x40”h). I will use an industrial trash receptacle (19.25”x19.25”x34”) as the inside mold, and that will ultimately serve as an insert that can easily be removed for overwintering the plants the following winter. The concrete planters will be WAY too heavy.

My question is with the insert having a depth of 34” will the plant roots ever actually “dig” that deep? Assume that the planter is slap full with mature plants. Is there a depth at which the roots won’t go even if there’s nowhere else to go?

Reaction score
Country
United States
First post! I’m in South Carolina at the edge of zone 8a/b. I have some smaller zone 9-10 plants around the pool in containers that will come into a well insulated garage to overwinter. They include heliconia, curcuma, and bird of paradise.

When it cools down I plan on making several large planters from concrete (outer dimensions 24”x24”x40”h). I will use an industrial trash receptacle (19.25”x19.25”x34”) as the inside mold, and that will ultimately serve as an insert that can easily be removed for overwintering the plants the following winter. The concrete planters will be WAY too heavy.

My question is with the insert having a depth of 34” will the plant roots ever actually “dig” that deep? Assume that the planter is slap full with mature plants. Is there a depth at which the roots won’t go even if there’s nowhere else to go?
It depends on a lot of different conditions. Plant type and the location of the Sun, soil nutrition and drainage. If you are outdoors, I recommend not using a peat potting mix instead use garden soil or top soil for the best growing results.

Ask a Question