Wiry Roots in my Compost Pile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I compost my grass clippings and leaves in the back corner of my garden. I finished turning a massive pile in October 2022 and planned on using it in my raised beds in the spring 2023. I uncovered and inspected the pile and it is full of these wiry root structures that are holding the compost tightly in place. The roots are very thin but spread throughout the large pile. The pile is situated between some small trees but tree roots don't grow like that! Especially in winter.
What can I do with it now?
Does anyone know what happened?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...The pile is situated between some small trees ...

That's the answer...tree roots sucking the nutrients out of your compost. Get rid of them and/or move the pile away from trees. I've had trees send feeder roots out as much as 50 ft to get to a desirable compost pile. There's a reason they do that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's the answer...tree roots sucking the nutrients out of your compost. Get rid of them and/or move the pile away from trees. I've had trees send feeder roots out as much as 50 ft to get to a desirable compost pile. There's a reason they do that.

Yes. Ive seen good sized roots physically come out of the ground into a compost pile.

Ask a Question