Killing tree roots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could some one give me some advice please.
I have had a tree cut down about 8 weeks ago leaving just a 5/6 inch high stump and around 10/12 inches in diameter it was starting to affect a 5 feet retaining wall
I have drilled about 30 holes three quarters of an inch in diameter and about 5 inch deep in the top of the stump to put in Roundup solution
I have bought some Roundup Concetrate to kill the roots, will I need to fill up these holes more than once and how strong should the Roundup solution be to make sure I kill the roots

Please click on the link below to see the stump

Reaction score
Country
United States
Potassium nitrate or saltpeter will rot a stomp in about four weeks. Feel the holes and put a couple of cups of sugar with the nitrate and cover with a couple of inches of compost or shredded leaves. Wet and forget about it and in a month put a match to it with the water hose nearby. It will burn slowly and for a long time so be patient.

The other way is to get a stump grinder at a rental for about $150 and grind it yourself.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bushes might survive that sort of amputation, But the round up would be belt and braces. Do you know what sort of tree it was? Some put up shoots more readily than others. Make up to the concentration specified on the container, more concentrated may actually be less effective, something to do with the water being a carrier for the poison I think. I would do it once and wait to see, the holes will still be there if it struggles through, as will the new shoots, so why put more than you have to in if you get it first time?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, you made a good job with that drill Alan! It looks like you really meant it! There is another way to see to this problem. It will take time, but is a lot kinder to your garden if you prefer not to use poisons.
The magic stuff is Epsom salts. This is what we've used in the past. Fill all the holes right up and poke the stuff in well, and cover the whole stump with a good strong bit of plastic (old compost bag or something similar) and tie it on securely. The overdose of good stuff will rot the stump, and any of it that leaches out will simply feed and nourish anything else it comes into contact with. The fact that the top of that looks flat and level (?) would, in the meantime make a nice little plinth for a pot, or garden ornament of some kind.
If you do go down the poison route, you will need a brushwood killer rather than roundup - like SBK especially for the job. Always follow the instructions on the label.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Totally agree with Tetters. SBK every time. Roundup, even concentrate is no good. In some cases. A power drill or the like, fitted with a suitable disk will do the job. Tree winches are available for hire.

Ask a Question