Mealy bugs killing my Japanese Maple - help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

New to this message board but have seen some great posts already. I have an issue that I'm desperate to solve:

I planted a young tamukeyama Japanese Maple in my garden 3 years ago. I have fertilized, staked and watered to the best of my knowledge and have watched it grow over the years. It is certainly my prized possession in our small garden, and sadly it appears a small white pest - Mealy bug (from what I can tell based on pictures) - has infected the trunk and limbs.

I never had any issues in years past, as the tree has been healthy and growing, but this week I realized that only the bottom few branches were getting new leaves. The upper branches (majority of the tree) were dead and snap off easily.

There were only a few visible mealy bugs when I noticed the damaged trunk, which I killed/removed and sprayed the trunk with an insecticidal soap. However, I'm wondering what my next move should be: Will the tree ever rebound? Do I need to cut it back? If so; then how? In a worst case scenario, can I salvage the healthy parts of the tree and re-root/plant?

I love gardening but this is all fairly new to me, but I love this tree and hope that someone can offer some guidance.

Also - not sure how to add photos but I have them!

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Photos attached
3E0DDF0F-CE8D-4D38-AC43-4AA2EF586089.jpeg

Attachments

• 8006C020-6B68-434E-A90F-D9FA0FB04A69.jpeg
    8006C020-6B68-434E-A90F-D9FA0FB04A69.jpeg
    449.3 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Without actually seeing the tree it is difficult to access just what is going on but I do not believe that mealy bugs caused this. The mealy bugs showed up when the tree became stressed. I think it is a root problem. I know it is planted too deep but 3 years is too soon for root flare problems to show IMO, although it is possible. I think that when planted the tree had encircling/girdling roots and now the tree is basically choking itself to death. Also, that damage in the first picture appears to be from an old injury that never healed properly, probably caused by the root problem. I would have a certified arborist come and take a look.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Just as a matter of interest, the above thread was an invaluable lesson to me about root pruning when you find you have been sold a badly grown specimen, and don't feel you want to complain to the seller.....just for future possible use. @CreakyGardener provided some very interesting advice (y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Without actually seeing the tree it is difficult to access just what is going on but I do not believe that mealy bugs caused this. The mealy bugs showed up when the tree became stressed. I think it is a root problem. I know it is planted too deep but 3 years is too soon for root flare problems to show IMO, although it is possible. I think that when planted the tree had encircling/girdling roots and now the tree is basically choking itself to death. Also, that damage in the first picture appears to be from an old injury that never healed properly, probably caused by the root problem. I would have a certified arborist come and take a look.
Thanks for the information. Do you have any suggestions as to salvaging the tree's few healthy branches? Or how to possibly reverse the effects of the possible root encircling? Not sure if uprooting it (to assess) would be an option.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the information. Do you have any suggestions as to salvaging the tree's few healthy branches? Or how to possibly reverse the effects of the possible root encircling? Not sure if uprooting it (to assess) would be an option.
The only way I know of to propagate that tree is by cuttings and the spring is the time to do it. Your tree is buried too deep and the soil should be removed down to the root flare. (Google root flare) It is possible that if there is an encircling root it will be visible and you can cut it. You best bet is to get an arborist to look at the tree and tell you what to do.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible that this tree may have been ringbarked? That is, chewed all the way round by goats/deer/rabbits ? I can see a lot of bark missing, but not around the other side.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey All, I finally got the chance to uncover the roots/root flare and this is what I found. Is this normal? Certainly looks a bit odd to me... any help is appreciated!
IMG_9115.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would say that from what I can see the root growth is somewhat abnormal. Most of the larger roots are seemingly growing in a circle. You should dig completely around the tree exposing more roots. It also appears that the tree's graft point was also buried and if so this is probably the source of the problem. How deep did you dig?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would say that from what I can see the root growth is somewhat abnormal. Most of the larger roots are seemingly growing in a circle. You should dig completely around the tree exposing more roots. It also appears that the tree's graft point was also buried and if so this is probably the source of the problem. How deep did you dig?

It was planted/buried about 2-3 inches about that root growth on the left side. I can keep digging - but is that just to look for circling roots? What would the next course of action be? And is there any chance of returning it to health for next season?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It was planted/buried about 2-3 inches about that root growth on the left side. I can keep digging - but is that just to look for circling roots? What would the next course of action be? And is there any chance of returning it to health for next season?
If there is an encircling root you can cut it but it appears that all of the roots are growing in a circle. And NO, it is not just looking for encircling roots. Any tree must have its root flare partially exposed and it's graft point fully exposed or it will die an earlier death and be weakened enough for disease and insects to further weaken the tree and promote a premature death. Other than the tree being super stressed by, as yet, something unknown, you will always have a problem with keeping the root flare exposed because it is below grade and the hole you have dug will always be a problem by filling up with washed-in debris.

Ask a Question