Black leaves and mealy bugs (Dying Jasmine)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Bahrain
Hello to the forum! Quite new here and also new to gardening so I hope I've given enough information for advice from all the master gardeners out there!

This poor jasmine plant I've inherited from family is going through some some serious trouble.
Please can you guys help on how to save it?
Well, at least I believe it's a type of jasmine (identification if possible also appreciated!)

Plant condition: Lives indoors in bright-ish shade. Soil feels damp all the time so no watering for time being

Round 1: Found what I suspected to be mealy bugs when I started taking care of the plant. Washed everything off and tried to dry out in the sun for a few hours which I think sunburnt the plant a bit but the next day new leaves started to grow after being dormant for a long time.
Here's before round 1, before a bunch of leaves started falling off.
image.jpeg

Round 2: Bugs are back and something else is killing off the plant! What to do?
1. The leaves (both new and old) are turning brown and black and falling off (not from sunburn as it went back indoors).
2. The bugs are back!
3. Can't seem to dry the soil out as it's completely waterlogged
Stems look fine and new growth is trying to get through so I am hoping to save it :)

My beginner thoughts are to repot it due to poor soil conditions, douse with insecticide or neem oil
But which to do first? I'm definitely a bit scared to repot and end up killing it!
Here are photos:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, too much water too often and mealy bugs.. First of all we don't know in what shape the roots are in, if they are rotted or not. Take the plant out of the pot. If the roots are brownish they are dead and rotting. If there are a lot of rotting roots rinse the soil away from the roots and re-pot into a different container with fresh potting mix. Use neem oil every 6-8 days for the bugs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Bahrain
Thanks for your kind advice Chuck - luckily the roots looked were fine/healthy-ish and now repotted into a pot with better drainage.
Interestingly, the original plant was planted in pretty much only wood chips - maybe that's where the bugs were hiding. Shook out as much of the wood as possible without damaging roots.
One day later and it already looks much happier! Yipee! Now sourcing neem oil to get rid of mealy bugs :)

Ask a Question