Leaves on plant turning black?

Reaction score
I live out in the country so when farmers plants their crops a plane usually flies over to drop what helps the crops from getting eaten by bugs, but I noticed that a couple days after that is done the leaves on a few of my plants start to turn black and have something on it I just can tell what it is I know its not good that's for sure. I wish there was a way to protect my plants from it, but I don't know how I have moved some of the pots away from getting exposed to the chemical they use, but there are some plants I can't move because they are not in pots. Not sure if anyone knows of something that can help the plants from that chemical?

Last edited:
Reaction score
You could try hosing them off and drenching the soil until the water runs out of the pot. Really unless you cover the plants before you spray they will have some die off. The main thing is if it is causing a lot of leaves to die. If it isn't the whole plant that is dying and you are still getting new grow or producing flowers then you should be okay. maybe you can call the farmer and see what it is that he is spraying and when he is going to do it so you can cover them.

Reaction score
I too have this problem where they feed their crops and spray them with pesticide from the air - 4 -6 times a year without warning, but have - not as yet - had any of my plants leaves turn black and the only thing that I can think of that might cause that - is that the leaves of your plant were young and when sprayed, were scorched by the strength of the chemical especially if they were exposed to the sun.
Unfortunately there isn't really much you can do about it in terms of protecting your plants, other than a hermetically sealed bubble over your garden - as the chemicals they use are designed to stick to the plant and are therefore difficult to get rid of once attached to a plant and apart from that - even though you may not see the chemicals after they have settled - they remain in the atmosphere for months and blow around every time the wind blows - so there is no way of getting away from them :(
I wish I could give you a more positive answer as to how to solve your problem, but after 12 years of living with the same thing and having tried everything - now know that there is nothing that can be done and it is just something that I have to accept, as part of living in an agricultural area.

Ask a Question