Asiatic and Oriental lilies stick tip turned black.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone, I planted few rows of Asiatic and Oriental lilies , we had a lot of rain recently and I noticed just before developing the buds the top of the Lilly stick curled and turned black, any idea on what's happening? Can I deadhead the tip of the stick and expect new shoots to continue and develop buds? See photos thanks guys

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The withering stem tips on the oriental Lily hybrids (Lilium cvs.) in the OP is likely a disease issue, though overwatering or poor drainage could certainly acerbate the situation. It may be best to cut off the rotten material immediately and perhaps dust with sulfur.
If the stem dies down completely, dig up the bulb and replant in a container of fresh potting soil. The hope is that the rot will not spread to the bulb. Flowers for the current year are unlikely, but if the bulb survives there is always the future.

Note: This is one of two very similar threads. The other thread displayed the images mentioned in the OP, and was more active.

Ask a Question