Insect or fungus killing ficus trees

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have two ficus plants, located in 2 different locations and this stuff can be found under the leaves of both of them.

I've been spraying the backside of the leaves with a fungicide, for months, and it doesn't help. I also hose these trees down a couple of times a month. Nothing is helping! The plants are shedding leaves and failing to thrive.

Attachments

• Ficus infestation.jpg
    Ficus infestation.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 1,133
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have two ficus plants, located in 2 different locations and this stuff can be found under the leaves of both of them.

I've been spraying the backside of the leaves with a fungicide, for months, and it doesn't help. I also hose these trees down a couple of times a month. Nothing is helping! The plants are shedding leaves and failing to thrive.
The reason fungicide isn't working is because it isn't a fungus. It is called Sooty Mold and comes from the excretions of insects, in this case scale insects. Spray both sides of the leaves every 5-7 days with Neem Oil for 3 weeks. Those white spots will not go away overnite but will in time. They are hard scale insects, they don't move and they are attached to the leaf. As they die the black stuff will also slowly fade away. You can also get a product called Plant Wash to help rid the plant of the sooty mold. And please update you profile so we will all know where you live just in case you ever have an outdoor plant that needs help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thanks so much!

I tried to update my profile but wasn't able to find the option to do so. I keep looking. fyi I'm in San Diego Ca.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I found Neem Oil and have started spraying! But I couldn't find "Plant Wash", but I did find "Insect Killing Soap" though. Is that equivalent?

Should I wait until I've completed a week of Neem Oil before spraying with "Plant Wash"?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I found Neem Oil and have started spraying! But I couldn't find "Plant Wash", but I did find "Insect Killing Soap" though. Is that equivalent?

Should I wait until I've completed a week of Neem Oil before spraying with "Plant Wash"?
I would wait until completion of the Neem applications. Most real nurseries will carry this product which is sold under the Soil Mender brand. The following link should be of assistance. The soap in NOT the same thing and will not help in your situation.

http://www.yumyummix.com/products/other/plantwash.php

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I would wait until completion of the Neem applications. Most real nurseries will carry this product which is sold under the Soil Mender brand. The following link should be of assistance. The soap in NOT the same thing and will not help in your situation.

Ok, thanks. I'll return the "soap" product to ACE and get our "Gardener" to get some the next time he is at the nursery.

Thanks again for your help, Chuck.

fyi I posted a comment on "New Member". Still haven't figured out how to update my profile, but still looking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
The reason fungicide isn't working is because it isn't a fungus. It is called Sooty Mold and comes from the excretions of insects, in this case scale insects. Spray both sides of the leaves every 5-7 days with Neem Oil for 3 weeks. Those white spots will not go away overnite but will in time. They are hard scale insects, they don't move and they are attached to the leaf. As they die the black stuff will also slowly fade away. You can also get a product called Plant Wash to help rid the plant of the sooty mold. And please update you profile so we will all know where you live just in case you ever have an outdoor plant that needs help.
Here's a f/u to your suggestions.

Our Ficus has completely recovered, new leaves abound and are lush and shiny. The 7 days treatment really worked. We finally found a plant wash. Our local nurseries did not carry if for some odd reason so we found it on Amazon.

Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Chuck and Mike,
I have noticed my ficus hedge trees leaves curling and today I opened the leaves and it seems like there is insects inside the leave. Ive attached some photos. I can figure out what is causing this ? Overwatering? Under-watering? How can I tell? I have a drip sprinkler system feeding 30 minutes every 2 days.

It's been fairly hot lately in los angeles so i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance!

IMG-0605.jpg

IMG-0601.jpg

IMG-0603.jpg

Here's a f/u to your suggestions.

Our Ficus has completely recovered, new leaves abound and are lush and shiny. The 7 days treatment really worked. We finally found a plant wash. Our local nurseries did not carry if for some odd reason so we found it on Amazon.

Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I believe I responded to this situation in another thread, but I'm happy to re-post if it will help.

Those are Laurel-Fig Thrips (Gynaikothrips ficorum). There are a variety of treatment options. I recommend reading up about them first at the UC-IPM website:

Thrips Management Guidelines--UC IPM

Reaction score
Country
Australia

Ask a Question