Why remove grass for a berm?

Reaction score
I'm thinking of creating a berm on my lawn. The steps in most of the how-to instructions I find say to remove the grass first. I'm wondering why? Couldn't one just put soil on top of the grass? Won't the grass just die under the berm? Any insight or wild guesses welcome!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, that is exactly what I would do...put the dirt on top of the grass where you want the berm.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Won't the grass just die under the berm?

Yes, and no.

Most of it probably will die. Along the edges where the layer is thinner, grass might pop through, especially if you have any aggressive invasive grasses in your lawn.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is amazing what depth grass can grow up from sometimes, on the other hand the dead grass makes a good addition to the soil. I would take up the turf and simply turn it over, then put your dirt on top, maybe chuck a few inches from around the edge into the middle. Unless you want it grassed, then take up the grass as turfs so you can put them back after.

Ask a Question