Should I remove all the leaves at the base of the trunk?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Attached is my lemon tree. As you can see, there are new leaves coming out at the base of the trunk. Should I remove all these leaves at the base of the trunk so it will focus more on the leaves up on top or leave them alone? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8243.jpg
    IMG_8243.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 97
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It depends on how you want it to look.
Many trees throw out shoots near the roots.
The energy will take the line least resistance.

You've got the right idea.

Shape the tree how you want it to look, remove any branches you find don't look "right."
More serious pruning should wait until the tree is dormant, but there's no reason not to lose those now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't make any hard pruning cuts until the tree is dormant in Winter. Then you can take the bottom off 1/3 of the way up to the place you like. If you cut the tree now you will make the tree change growth productivity from normal growing to healing wounds and new branching, and that will slow her down. It is a healthy tree right now, and looks super, and is growing very very well, so I would wait until Winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do Not prune citrus in winter. It stimulates growth during cold weather which will be more frost sensitive. Prune them now if you need to prune at all. You can remove the lowest branches if you want or if it looks like they are rootstock suckers. For the most part citrus only get pruned when they get too big or have dead or broken branches, not yearly like deciduous fruits.

Ask a Question