Who here has a lawn ?

Reaction score
I have a friend who lives out near San Antonio and replaced her front lawn with Texas sedge when she took over her new place, it looks great.

Reaction score
I have a terraced yard with a lawn closest to the patio, my cacti around the perimeter and in planter areas and my garden at the bottom. I think I have the best of all worlds and would truly not want to give up the lawn.

Reaction score
I can't give up the lawn yet, either. Maybe I should consider some desert landscaping just to cut the square footage a little. I want to be a responsible community member but, at the same time, can't stand to let the lawn die.

Reaction score
I live on an acre, half of that is grass. I love to mow it, rake it and water it. We have irrigation so we get standing water on it for a couple of hours once a week. I would be sad to live somewhere where I couldn't have a big beautiful lawn,

Reaction score
And who doesn't? If not, do you miss it? I have lived in condos for many years now & I sorely miss having a lawn.

As a kid, when I was old enough to run the power motor, my dad turned over most of the yard care, & all the lawn care, to me & I loved every minute of it! Nothing like the smell of a fresh cut lawn! It was a joy to edge it, either by hand or the power edger, then mow it in my certain patterns & finally, to set up the Rainbird sprinkler & give it a good soaking. Then after all was said & done, take some pride in our yard!

Oh how I miss those days.....

I have a lawn and love it. The key to keeping it lush and green is to leave the grass cuttings on the lawn after the lawn is mowed. Don't rake them up and bag them. This acts as a natural fertilizer for your lawn.

Reaction score
I have a huge lawn, we live on an acre and I am hoping to get the whole thing covered in grass. There is nothing better than seeing it freshly mowed. I don't think I could stand not having a lawn.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a large lawn in the front that has a slope which makes it hard to mow. There is also a large back yard with 5 huge trees that make it really hard to have grass in the back area. We have more moss and weeds in the back than grass. I would like to convert the front to more of a low maintance california style lawn to reduce some of the time needed in caring for the lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
One tradition found in many areas in the South is the swept lawn with lots of flowers and no grass. I know that it is not for all but can be rather nice. It is usually found with small lots or part of a larger yard with a flower garden.

Reaction score
I've got a small yard, maybe 6-7k square feet in total. As of the end of last fall it was still pretty green. This past winter has wreaked havoc on it though, between the near constant snow, ice and cold. I can't wait for it to warm up a bit so I can out and put some fertilizer down. I'm thinking about using one of the old styled reel mower with a roller on it this year so I can try out some patterns.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
This past winter has wreaked havoc on it though, between the near constant snow, ice and cold. I can't wait for it to warm up a bit so I can out and put some fertilizer down.

+1. We've had a nasty winter too. Between that and some work on the house, our yard looks like a mess in some places. I can't wait to clean things up and reseed.

Reaction score
I just moved from a condo to a freehold home. It's going to be an interesting summer getting used to cutting the grass and tending a property, but I am super excited to finally have a bit of outdoors to call my own. I am looking at taking a good portion of the lawn and converting it to garden space, particularly since the lawn is south-facing.

Reaction score
I have over an acre but not all of it is a lawn, part of it is woods/wetlands and I have a half acre pond too. My dad does the mowing though and he doesn't always mow often enough so some parts of it are quite weedy. But for the most part I like it the way it is. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I have over an acre but not all of it is a lawn, part of it is woods/wetlands and I have a half acre pond too. My dad does the mowing though and he doesn't always mow often enough so some parts of it are quite weedy. But for the most part I like it the way it is. :)
I have never been overly fond of having a putting green or cow pasture for a yard. Swept yards or a "natural" space is also good, but a grass space good for croquet or frisbee also has its good points.

Reaction score
We wanted a little grassy are for the kids to put an inflatable pool on and play. The picture was taken shortly after it was seeded and it is now a lot thicker and greener. If you look around the perimeter, you will see that I was working in a rock pile to create a flat area where grass would take root. This summer the intention is to make it larger (about double in size). The one rock you see sticking out was actually a boulder which I made a big hole next to and rolled it in - unfortunately not a big enough hole.
001b.jpg

Reaction score
I have a lawn that's pretty much manicured. It gets treated once a month for weeds and bugs. My husband also set out a sprinkler so it gets watered a few times a week.

Ask a Question