Since there is nothing for raised beds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Since there is nothing about or for raised bed gardening here I will post about mine here.

I have 3 of these. I used recycled 2"x6"x8' treated timbers for these two. I fill them with soil from the woods after I line the bottom with news papers.

Aug%2017%202003_2966_zpshhddt9hk.jpg

Aug%2001%202003_2867_zpszdwowhzo.jpg

Aug%2001%202003_2870_zpsrmtloxxt.jpg

I plant things like yellow summer crook neck squash, butternut squash and dumpling squash(One year only.) tomatoes, bell peppers and egg plant.

I am still trying how to prune the tomatos to keep them from growning 7 feet tall.

Veggiegardencropped2_zps0c25fb3d.jpg

Takes a tall frame to cover them when the fear of frost arrives.

Frostworries_zps84283bf3.jpg

:D Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
I was 6' 1" (knee surgerys has reduced that a bit LOL.) this picture was taken just after a late june frost warning.

Albythetomatoes_zps88eb1f74.jpg

Peppers like the raised beds but I also never had a problem when the kids were small and I had a flat garden.

Apepperfruit_zps481bf40e.jpg

Peppers_zpsbeda4eb3.jpg

I had more than enough tomatoes for us to can and freeze, give to a couple friends Mother in law and sister in law.

Hiddenlittletomato_zpse70289b8.jpg

Grapetomatoes_zpseb85809c.jpg

The Japanese egg plant also grew well. I have sinced 2017 stopped growing them, Kare didn't like the little seeds in them.

Eggplant_zpsa4006be4.jpg

Eggplant2_zps700ea8d9.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
A mid July picture of my tomatoes.

Aug%2016%202015_3184_zpsxoqcbg9n.jpg

Best small space waterinbg system I have found.

Aug%2016%202015_3194_zpsjqd8qr7p.jpg

Aug%2016%202015_3195_zpszzj4bdkr.jpg

Yes I also plant a lot of Marigolds in the Beds. Have never had a bug problem since I started doing it.

Tried sweet corn in the raised beds, didn't do well ears were really short.

x6vukSV.jpg

I like grape tomatoes in salads.

EZbVpPb.jpg

Tried Lemon boy tomatoes in 2017. Really tasted good but were to juicy to eat on a sandwich, Juicest tomatoe I ever ate.
Couldn't find any sets in 2018.

Oe3Vxd1.jpg

I didn't plant marigolds this year and got vine bores in my squash and cucumbers.

So dissapointed this year my 4th I am going to remover all the dirt this fall and let the beds over winter bare.
When spring arrives I will lay down newspapers again and fill with dirt from the woods.

Will plant Marigolds with the veggies also. since I was not happy with this years watering system (water bottles have changed so they don't last.) So am going to try a new system in 2019.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
OH I didn't invent it, some one else invented it as a way to ,make a sprinkler for there child to play it.
All I did was place it in the garden, and then they would screw on the end of the garden hose.
Today you have to duct tape them on and they are so thin youhave to add a valve so you can turn the flow way down or they explode.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Today you have to duct tape them on and they are so thin youhave to add a valve so you can turn the flow way down or they explode.

Maybe you could use an empty pop bottle? They are a lot thicker than water bottles. :unsure: Even if you don't drink it, it shouldn't be too hard to get someone to give you a couple of empty bottles!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Awesome beds and kick @ss watering system. Good to see someone else grows peppers that are low to the ground, lol.
I also pant marigolds everywhere I can squeeze them.
I gave up on Zukes and Spaghetti Squash because of SVB's. I'll be trying cantaloupe and Butternut Squash in place of them.

Hope all is well with your Knee surgery.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well I'm going to have to try the marigolds trick. Never heard that one before. But who doesn't like a little extra color anyway!?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
I've been enjoying my 2 titianum knees now for 2 full years and 6 months of the first year.
Best medical thing I ever did I think.

I had good lock with butternut squash in my beds last summer. Dumpling squash did well but wanted to climb for some reason.

Here is some information I have stored away.

(1.Marigolds are easy to grow and they help keep the away aphids. I feel even more bugs too.
Annual Marigolds can be used anywhere to deter Mexican bean beetles, squash bugs, thrips, tomato hornworms, and whiteflies. They are also known to repel harmful root knot nematodes (soil dwelling microscopic white worms) that attack tomatoes, potatoes, roses, and strawberries. The root of the Marigold produces a chemical that kills nematodes as they enter the soil. If a whole area is infested, at the end of the season, turn the Marigolds under so the roots will decay in the soil. You can safely plant there again the following spring.

(2. Peppermint repels ants, white cabbage moths, aphids, and flea beetles.

(3. Garlic discourages aphids, fleas, Japanese beetles, and spider mites.

(4. * Perennial Chives repel aphids and spider mites.
* Chives are often planted among roses to keep aphids away and to resist the disease, Blackspot.

(5. Basil drives away flies and mosquitoes.

(6. Borage deters that monster of vegetable garden insects, the tomato hornworm.

(7. Rosemary and Sage repel cabbage moths, bean beetles, and carrot flies.

(8. Nasturtium is another annual, in this case a trailing vine, that keeps away Colorado potato bugs, squash bugs, and whiteflies.

(9. The perennial, Artemisia or Wormwood, deters slugs that are so devastating to foliage.

(10. Radishes can be planted to discourage cucumber beetles, squash bugs, and stink bugs.

Ask a Question