Who does vertical gardening?

Reaction score
Without realizing it, that is until reading WriterKerries post, that I had, purely by chance, been doing vertical gardening for some years, but only on a small scale in the vegetable patch, and nothing compared to some of the wonderful examples, I see here, which have given me some great ideas, which I'm itching to try out.
For me vertical gardening, came about as previously mentioned, purely by chance, when a few years back, we somehow, landed up with, far too many creeping fruits and vegetables, taking over the vegetable garden like triffids, that we decided to have anything that grew along the ground growing up a frame, and since then always grow our melons, cucumbers, squash and peas on a frame, with strawberries in hanging baskets and wall containers.
Vertical gardening, as I now know it, has become a bit of a hobby of mine, and I find myself actively seeking out different fruits and vegetables to try out each year, and have just recently found a courgette that will grow up a frame.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
10022016 165.JPG
I built some A frames out of 1"X1" and chicken wire, 2'X8', worked great for cucumbers, beens, peas, and trying squash and more this spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
In my sq. foot gardening book the way you grow sprawling plants is on polls with strings tied to them. you train the plant to clime up the strings, and you pick standing up!
A friend of mine grows cukes and uses sunflowers as the poles to keep them off the ground.It's very cool to see thes,hoping to try it for myself this year

Reaction score
Country
Australia
This is my vertical garden. I planted it at the beginning of Perth, Australian winter and it is now spring...so, 3 months. It's starting to look pretty good now I think. I've lost a few plants, so it's a bit of trial and error. Im fairly new to gardening so still learning along the way. This area is quite narrow so only gets a small amount of winter sun and midday summer sun. I think I'll be constantly watering in summer.

Attachments

• IMG_1644.JPG
    IMG_1644.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 260
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
This is my vertical garden. I planted it at the beginning of Perth, Australian winter and it is now spring...so, 3 months. It's starting to look pretty good now I think. I've lost a few plants, so it's a bit of trial and error. Im fairly new to gardening so still learning along the way. This area is quite narrow so only gets a small amount of winter sun and midday summer sun. I think I'll be constantly watering in summer.
Welcome to the Forum helenvcurry, That a really nice way to make uses of a wall. I bet others here will see yours and want to do something Similar (y)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. helenvcurry!! :)

This is my vertical garden. I planted it at the beginning of Perth, Australian winter and it is now spring...

Did you make your vertical garden out of an old pallet? It is looking good! (y)

Im fairly new to gardening so still learning along the way.

:D I hope you are enjoying it - there's probably not a gardener anywhere who is not learning along the way!! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Welcome to the forum. helenvcurry!! :)

Did you make your vertical garden out of an old pallet? It is looking good! (y)

:D I hope you are enjoying it - there's probably not a gardener anywhere who is not learning along the way!! :ROFLMAO:
My husband customised an old brick pallet, half a days work. Loving my garden and all my pots. Summer is coming though and it's HARSH, so hopefully everything won't die

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Summer is coming though and it's HARSH, so hopefully everything won't die

(n) Winter is coming. Please post pictures of everything that blooms for the next 6 months!! It helps the rest of us be patient. :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

We have another member from Australia - maybe you could look up threads from @DeborahJane to get some ideas of what does well in your summers. (y) (DeborahJane has beautiful plants!! :love:.)

My only advice is to plant lots of natives. :unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I found a really interesting example of a vertical garden. I would like to have something like this, it seems like a perfect idea for growing vegetables when you have limited space. And it looks great:

I believe that is a set of closet door shoe pockets sewn into a polymer cloth of some sort!

P1040913.JPG

P1040912.JPG

Ask a Question