Should I cut this right back, does any one have any suggestions please.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I moved this Red Justicia as it was crowded and not visible but actually doing well.
Not so now sadly:(
rps20180503_174945.jpg
rps20180503_175006.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Just wait. The root was disturbed and it is not able to do what it did until they regrow a bit.But don't remove its ability to photosynthesize at this point. It needs that to grow the root.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How long ago did you move it? Are there healthy leaves on it? I would probably remove the damaged leaves. :unsure:

I am not familiar with the plant, but I found this link that says to wait 'til spring to prune it.

If plants are damaged by frost, become leggy, or have reduced flower production, they may be rejuvenated by pruning to the ground after the last frost in early spring. They recover rapidly in warm weather and flourish with infrequent, deep watering. https://wateruseitwisely.com/plant-of-the-month-justicia/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks guys. I did find that information too MaryMary. I'll do what both of you suggest., leave ir be till start of Spring to cut it back but remove the damaged leaves now.They are actually black and floppy. I moved it about 10 days ago. Hope it makes it as it is quite a lovely plant with bright red unusual flowers. According to what I found on the inernet it originates from Mexico :whistle::LOL:l:p. (Trying to find a dancing emojie)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Just wanted to let you lnow that thanks to your advice my Justicia seems to be recovering very nicely. I'd tried to purchase another one but couldn't find a red one, only pink and white so I'm very grareful that this red one seems to be making it. Not looking limp now so fingers crossed for winter. Thanks MaryMary and DirtMechanic. I appreciate your inout and time:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just wanted to let you lnow that thanks to your advice my Justicia seems to be recovering very nicely. I'd tried to purchase another one but couldn't find a red one, only pink and white so I'm very grareful that this red one seems to be making it. Not looking limp now so fingers crossed for winter. Thanks MaryMary and DirtMechanic. I appreciate your inout and time:)
Will you post a pic for us to see please. Thank you!!

Ask a Question