Who does vertical gardening?

Reaction score
I guess technically we do some vertical gardening since we cage and tie up our tomatoes. But I'm wondering about doing some other stuff that way.

Reaction score
I have an old outdoor swing frame, in which the swing was removed. I'm thinking of using it for vertical growing. My first thought was to cover it with morning glories, because I love them, lol! But, it could be used to grow string beans vertically. I've never grown beans before, so that's what I am leaning toward using it for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Vertical gardening is so interesting! In my opinion it looks really great, I love unique ideas like this.
Look at this picture, isn't it gorgeous?:

337b33f832a9e26c5fcde343798a442b.jpg

In the future, I plan to plant some succulents in a frame, I want it to look like a painting. Something like this would be perfect:

vertical%20gardening_framed.jpg

Reaction score
In my sq. foot gardening book the way you grow sprawling plants is on polls with strings tied to them. you train the plant to clime up the strings, and you pick standing up!

Reaction score
YES! Claudine, gorgeous pictures! I like the "pick standing up". We do that with our tomatoes in cages, but should do pole beans. So far we only do the green beans you have to kill your back to pick!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a great idea to grow tomatoes like this, it must be so convenient. It would be the same with strawberries, here is a really nice picture, I would love to walk near these planters and eat some delicious fruits:D :

1396973_f520.jpg

Reaction score
This looks really nice I would love to have this element in my Garden. I think I will try and get something like this sorted for this summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I found a really interesting example of a vertical garden. I would like to have something like this, it seems like a perfect idea for growing vegetables when you have limited space. And it looks great:

P1040913.JPG

P1040912.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I find it very interesting too, especially because it's so different than regular gardening. It's unique. Also, it lets you save some space.
This looks gorgeous:

IMG_0683.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I really like the idea of vertical gardening also. Since I am getting older, bending and digging are just getting harder every year. I seem to need Bobby's help a lot more often, for what would have been simple holes before.
So growing in pots and vertically is the direction that I am headed.
This year, it has been just a small regular garden and the rest in pots, but I am hoping to get t set up better for next year, or even for inside this winter.

Reaction score
Totally new to the concept of vertical gardening so excuse the silly question but what about drainage? I was thinking of a vertical garden along the wall of my balcony but would I just water the top row and let gravity do the rest? I'm also thinking the folks downstairs may get cranky if I accidentally over water!

Reaction score
Wow very nice pictures of the strawberry farm. I mostly see people build a wall out of succulents which i thought was very awesome. Just wish I had some free time to do something that neat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I agree, succulent walls are very popular and they often look really gorgeous, I like them too.
This looks so beautiful:

succulents3.jpg

Ask a Question