Which plants or flowers kick up allergies?

Reaction score
I love being outdoors tending to my garden and thankfully I don't have any allergies when it comes to being around them, but my brother seems to sneeze a lot when he is outside. I am not sure if its because of the air quality outside or if there are plants or flowers that could be making him sneeze.

What kind of plants and flowers are known to kick up allergies?

Reaction score
Ragweed and goldenrod are two powerful allergens. These are weeds and not plants or flowers which people plant.
Almost any kind of pollen can trigger allergies. It doesn't matter what type of plant it is.

Reaction score
There are several plants that are known for causing allergies: ragweed, mountain cedars, rye grass, maple trees, elm trees, mulberries, pecan, oaks, tumbleweed, etc. As you can see the list of plants that can cue a major allergic flare up is long! In general most pollen producing flowers can have this effect on people who are sensitive to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Grass is really bad for hay fever, my brother used to really suffer with it - his skin would swell up around his eyes and they would be really itchy. I have hay fever from tree pollen, which lasts for longer during the year but thankfully doesn't bother me all that much.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tree pollen seems to get me started sneezing and swelling up around the eyes and the coughing. The plants don't seem to bother me as much as the trees.

Reaction score
Ask him what season he is having the most symptoms that might help you narrow down the type of plants he has a problem with, he may already know if his symptoms worsen quickly when in closer proximity to something, or when it is shedding its pollen.

Grasses are very common allergens when they are in bloom. Keeping on top the mowing so they don't get a chance to go to seed will reduce that problem a lot, though you can't count on your neighbors to do the same.

Trees are just something you have to live with unfortunately. Some newspapers list the pollen index for the area each day and list the source, for instance tree pollen, grass pollen ect to give people a heads up if they have allergies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
For me it Is grass, probably the rye grass and certain weeds. In the spring it is the pollen. The worst is in the fall when they cut back the over growth around the culverts. There are all sorts of plants growing in there and it never fails to set off my allergies. I try to drive with the windows rolled up.

I am convinced in the spring it is more about the road salt then the pollen. Rainy spring is not so bad because it keeps both down. I swear they use so much salt up here in the winter that when it starts to warm up there are literal clouds of the stuff when you walk through the roads before it washed away. Not good stuff to breathe in, it is actually pretty caustic.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with what many have stated. Grass is a major culprit for allergy issues. I had a serious problem with them. I visited my allergists and she was able to test me. Once it was determined what my allergies were, I get annual shots and now I can make it through allergy season with no problems. I am ready to dive in and get my gardening going.

Ask a Question