Tomatoes and Eggplants Flowers Fall Off

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
image.jpg
image.jpg

My eggplants and tomatoes plant flowers are fallen off. Over the past 3 weeks, I've seen several new flowers on the eggplants, but they'll fall off a week later. Also, I noticed that some of the lower leaves have some discoloration.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The past 2 weeks, I've noticed some flowers on the tomatoes tree, but they turn black and fall off too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 367
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Let's start with the tomatoes. Tomatoes, with the exception of the cherry varieties are extremely sensitive to the temperature when it comes to setting fruit. Most tomatoes will only reliably set fruit when the nighttime low temperatures are between 68F-74F. Many varieties have been bred that will set in cooler temps but no varieties will set fruit in temps much above 78F except for cherrys. Horticulturists, botanists and commercial growers have been trying for decades to breed a heat setting tomato with only limited success and even these do not set reliably plus they usually have one or more traits that many of us do not like such as very thick skins or oversize cores. The temps in Florida at this time of year are way too high for tomatoes to set fruit. The blooms will open up, look great for a day or two and then the stem of the bloom will turn yellow and in the next day or so the bloom will fall off.
Eggplants usually drop their blooms because of inconsistent watering, either too much or too little and excessive heat. If you live in the part of Florida that has been getting all of the non-stop rain this is the reason. Eggplant doesn't like to have wet feet at all, nor do they like it dry. Mulching helps greatly with them in conserving moisture in dryer areas

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank you. It's been raining in my area lately, at least twice a week. As far as the temperature, it's gotten as low as 75F and as high as 85F in my area during the night. I am going to continue to monitor them and make adjustment as necessary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
That mulch looks very, very, very dark.
If you get high temperatures and a lot of sunshine, the temperature of your growing medium will rocket, due to the low albedo of your mulch.

THAT is why your flowers are falling off.
Cover that mulch with anything white, or very light-coloured, that you can lay your hands on.
Old sheets would be ideal.
They will reflect a lot of the heat, and this should help solve your problem.
In the Mediterranean countries, like Spain, Greece and Cyprus, they use polytunnels to keep heat OFF their tomatoes.
I strongly suspect that's your only problem of note.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That mulch looks very, very, very dark.
If you get high temperatures and a lot of sunshine, the temperature of your growing medium will rocket, due to the low albedo of your mulch.

THAT is why your flowers are falling off.
Cover that mulch with anything white, or very light-coloured, that you can lay your hands on.
Old sheets would be ideal.
They will reflect a lot of the heat, and this should help solve your problem.
In the Mediterranean countries, like Spain, Greece and Cyprus, they use polytunnels to keep heat OFF their tomatoes.
I strongly suspect that's your only problem of note.
Excellent advice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Red is not reflective enough.
If you cannot cover that mulch, lift it, or as much of it as you can.
The best mulch for growing tomatoes and aubergines in your climate is pale sand.
Highly reflective and the best possible drainage, your plants will send air-breathing roots into it, allowing you to dampen down in extreme heat with less risk of rotting the roots.
I suggest putting down a 4 inch (100mm) layer.

Last edited:

Ask a Question