Which herbs smell the best?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it depends on what you like. I personally love the smell of basil. I think herbs in general spice up any kitchen and make it smell fresh and clean. Cilantro is another one of my favorite smells. I try to separate it from the basil a little bit so I can enjoy each of the smells.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think there would be a wide variety of answers on this one. I think lemon balm is an herb and that smells fantastic. Lavender might technically be classified as a flower but it is great smelling as well. Hibiscus same thing, I think there are a lot of herbs that smell great and can be utilized for scent bearing.

Reaction score
I love the smell of peppermint, basil leaves, oregano, and celery. At least these are what I have in my potted garden. I would love to have more and make my own vertical garden in the kitchen but I'm afraid my cat, named Thief, will ruin them so I keep my potted plants in the front yard where my dog is king.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I absolutely love the smell of fresh mint! I love to pick a couple of leaves and crush them slightly. It's always such a refreshing scent and it tastes pretty amazing as well, bonus!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Maybe you could grow catnip inside for your cat, and keep the rest outside where your dog is like you said. Even if you try to keep kitty out of the herbs..it is likely a losing battle, they either won't listen, don't understand..or forget what you said! I had one who wouldn't leave my tropical alone until he eventually killed it. His favorite sport was to dig around in the dirt..

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
coriander is a herb as well as spices. I think green coriander is the best aromatic herb.Lavender is also very aromatic however, more than a herb it is a flower with medical properties. Mints also smell good.

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I really like the smell of thyme and rosemary and they really go well with your food. Were I live there are places were thyme grows wild and it's got a much more intense smell and flavor from the cultivated variety.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My personal favorites would have to be sage and lavender. I'm big in aromatherapy, and those two scents combined have got to be such a beneficial scent combination. I also really like mint and lemon balm for a stress relieving effect. Not to mention, the smell of lemon is associated with a fresh, light, airy, and CLEAN house. I also really like more earthy scents like basil, oregano, etc. These don't really give off a strong scent in my opinion. Overall, I would pick mint and lemon balm for a fresh and clean scent.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also really love chamomile, I forgot to add it to my post above. I really like the calming, sleepy effect of the plant itself, and therefore, I usually associate that smell with it as well. That, mixed with lavender and sage would be a darling combination in anyone's home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I would have normally said basil 100% - I love it, I grow it, and I eat loads of it. But I'm in the early stages of pregnancy right now and the smell of it is making me SO nauseous!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
What would you recommend for someone that wants to have their herb garden giving off a great scent that will fill the kitchen?

One that shocked me was a small lemon tree. I read about it somewhere, and so bought a very small tree for my living room. It makes me the room smell ´clean´ all the time and it is just a tiny tree.

For the kitchen, I grow oregano for smell, more than I actually need just because I like the smell. Every few days I just pluck a few leaves and tear them up and put them in the bowl.

Ask a Question