Which herbs smell the best?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think that nothing beats the smell of fresh cilantro. It not only brightens up a dish but its smell brightens up any room. I can eat cilantro on everything, I think it is one of the freshest herbs out there.
Another good one is mint. It is also a very fresh smelling herb.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I honestly think my favorite scent for herbs is basil. It reminds me of summer and of all the yummy dishes it can be used in! I also can't go past mint - it's just so fresh smelling!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Sage and Rosemary but not for they kitchen smell. Both sage and rosemary grow naturally here and when I was young we did a lot of hiking. The air would typically be heavy with morning moisture, the sun would be coming up and can still remember how they would smell as we would brush through them. Often the smell would cling to your clothing. One of my best childhood memories.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
For me lavender is the herb that smells the best. I also like herbs with lemony scent like the lemon balm and lime scented geranium.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nothing beats the smell of basil or cilantro for me, reminds me of learning to cook and spending the days with my great grandma :). They're not too hard to manage, either, so that's always a plus. I'm not naturally a green thumb by any means and they're easy enough for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I like the smell of Rosemary, I grow it in the house and when the house smells closed up and musty I just rub some of the leaves together and every thing smells great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Rosemary smells really great. I also like basil and thyme. Mint smells really good and is handy to have around for cocktails.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Thyme provides a lovely, mature scent. I prefer it over mint if only because mint's freshness is "too fresh" for my tastes, haha!

Coriander and Basil are also lovely; they smell as green as they look which is always a plus! They're conventional herbs but you can't go wrong with them!

If you're looking for a warmer scent, chamomile is definitely the way to go.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Mint is my favorite herb of all. I cook with it, I make tea from it. I simply need it with me since it relaxes me. I also love the smell of rosemary.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Local herbs like laurel leaves and pandan leaves are my favorites. Laurel leaves offer appetizing aroma and flavor to adobo dishes we often cook at home and pandan leaves have a mild aroma and flavor suitable for rice and even desserts. They have also been a part of our culture for the longest time, as my grandmother learned the use of these from her own mother, a tradition that has been passed from generation to generation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
I just got a rosemary plant and I must say I'm impressed with the smell. It's so good :). When I get out to water my plants, around mid evening, the smell boosts a little, which is nice.

Ask a Question