Which herbs smell the best?

Reaction score
Dill would be the most aromatic in a garden followed by rosemary. The mint is nice - I grow a lot of it but I don't always smell. Sage is good too. Basically what I did was went to the garden center and walked around and sniffed a lot of plants until I found the ones that I was able to smell easily.

Reaction score
As choice of fragrance is very much a personal thing - I would very much agree with what firelily has already said - in that its always best if looking to choose a scent that you would enjoy having wafting around an area that you frequent often - it would be best to visit somewhere like a garden store first - where you could sniff a few to see which would appeal the most.

Especially as there are so many lovely scents to choose from - which range from subtle to intense - but saying that don't think you can go far wrong if choosing anything from the mint family - as all mints seem to have a light but refreshing fragrance - particularly the Chocolate, Citrus and Ginger mint varieties - as well as all varieties of Basil which also have light but pleasant scent - as do Chamomile and Thyme too :)

Reaction score
Any kind of mint will have a nice smell and there are many varieties. The balms also smell good and lemon balm is a favorite. I use it in ice tea and to flavor roast chicken. Rosemary is also nice and when it gets large it gets a small purple bloom. Basil is also a pleasant smelling plant and so easy to grow.

Reaction score
I love so many smellsl! I brought my lemon verbena in the house, something was stripping it and now there is this awesome smell going thru the living room.

I also love lemon balm. I love the mints. I love basil, all kinds. I love rosemary but don't have any right now.

Reaction score
Basil would be by far my favourite. Mints are always a good choice. Peppermint especially.
Though I don't have indoor herbs growing I do dry bunch indoors. Currently I have at least 12 kilos of garlic hanging from beams in by kitchen and probably start harvesting others such as lemon verbena soon.

I was going to say the exact same thing! Basil is one of my favorite smells in the world, and mint is a close second.

Reaction score
There are so many wonderful aromas it is hard to say. I love the smell of eucalyptis which I don't think you eat, not sure. But the smell is nice and strong.

Reaction score
For me it would definitely have to be the rosemary; i am so hooked on this herb , i think i am so tantalized by its strong scent it's just so divine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cilantro is my favorite herb. It smells fresh and citrusy and it goes great with many Mexican dishes. Mint is the next runner up for me; I love just about everything with mint in it.

Reaction score
Basil gives off a great scent, though I have been almost addicted to the smell of rosemary, but I'm not sure how tough a scent it is to fill a kitchen, though I know it is quite potent itself. lol.

Reaction score
That's a matter of opinion, but I would go for basil. I just love the smell of basil and would love to have it in my kitchen all the time. Whatever herbs you like best will be the ones for you though. Check out the plants at a garden store and see what you like.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I love the smell of my mint and basil. Having them in my indoor herb garden really adds a nice fragrance to the kitchen! I'd also love to add in some lemon balm with all the recommendations it is getting in this thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am really into the smell of sage lately too. I have been watching too many of those ghost shows or something. They are always burning sage to get spirits out of the houses.

Reaction score
I love basil and mint smell. Pineapple sage is pretty much all smell and doesn't have much food use. It does kind of smell like pineapple.

Reaction score
To me garlic smells the best and it's a perfect scent for the kitchen. I also like the smell of mint and some other ones. There are so many herbs out there to choose from.

Ask a Question