where to get 30 gallon water tank - cheap or free

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm looking for a 30 gallon tank to haul water to my trees in the yard. I have a 50 gallon, but it's too big and bulky for my garden tractor to pull. It will turn the trailer over on hills, even when the water level is half full. I would settle for a 25-30 gallon tank. I'm going to weld a low profile trail to fit said tank in. Here's what I've found:
1) Car washes buy soap that come in 30 gallon plastic drums.
2) Hospitals buy soap for sterile processing that come in 30 gallon drums.
If I can't find one of these businesses to give me one, I will need some more ideas.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
How about 5 gal. buckets with lids? We have a garden tractor and a small tow-behind trailer. We put 5 gal. buckets of water in the trailer, attach lids, and give each tree 5 to 10 gals. of water each. It takes a little longer since we have to go back and refill the buckets from our 250 gal. rain water harvesting cube, but our days aren't that busy!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see them on Craigslist all the time. Search for something like rain barrel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I see them on Craigslist all the time. Search for something like rain barrel.
That's fantastic!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
UPDATE:
I went to a popular car wash in town, and they gave me a barrel that once had soap in it. Took it to a car wash (how ironic)..... and power washed the soap out until there were no more suds. I got the barrel for free. it was a 55 gallon barrel, since it had a sealed top on it, I can lay it on it's side (no more turning over the trailer).... VERY PLEASED..... esp with the price.
CAUTION: some car washes will have acid barrels (tire cleaning agent). Don't get those!!!! Acid is bad! The kids that were running the carwash that day, were offering to give me a corrosive barrel with residual acid in the bottom. Acid is the devil when you get it on your skin and elsewhere! (they didn't know any better). I kindly turned it down and warned of the acid contents. Anyway....... maybe this will help others.

Ask a Question